MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
OOMPDADDY
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default Cooking Brisket in a Restaurant.

Hello,

I have been doing research on opening my own BBQ joint and I have a specific question about cooking. I want to do Kraft BBQ where you can smell the smoke and cooking from down the street. What are some of the best processes for cooking brisket where you don’t have to be up all night or hire someone to man the pit from 10 pm till 7 am? Is there a way to cook Brisket’s in the pit in the afternoon till close and then finish them in some kind of oven that will cook slow till the morning and hold with preserving a good bark? Is the only option to hire someone to cook overnight? I know there are some local BBQ spots in town but you can’t smell the BBQ I’m guessing them have electric smokers they let go over night but they don’t produce a great bark or smoke ring... Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
OOMPDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you mean Craft BBQ?

Oh, back to your question.... look into Alto Sham warming ovens to hold your briskets. And don't forget your checkbook.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Welcome to the site. The Great smells I've always had were from stick burners. I know these days it's more induction heat of other forms but that smell sure does make folks want to stop and eat.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Don't know if there are any restaurants that do it, but you could always cook hot n fast. Get the briskets done in 5-6 hours and then put them in the Alto Sham. The other alternative would be to cook them on a stick burner until you wrap, and then finish in a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory (which at that point is really just a gas oven).
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

If you want to cook Kraft BBQ, Kraft sells pre cooked BBQ, you wont have to worry about manning the Pit all night, since it only takes a few minutes to reheat.

Jokes aside, You might want to look into a Pellet Smoker with Wifi, you can monitor, and control the heating temps from miles away. And pellet smokers produce great smoke rings, trust me, i know.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds to me like you want authentic Texas slow smoked brisket!
You and I both know how that's accomplished, the people will also know, so you have to pick one way.
One way is gonna get you "yeah that place is ok".
The other way has people waiting in line for you to open.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Sounds to me like you want authentic Texas slow smoked brisket!
You and I both know how that's accomplished, the people will also know, so you have to pick one way.
One way is gonna get you "yeah that place is ok".
The other way has people waiting in line for you to open.
Ed
Yes. There is no "free lunch".
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

I'd also look into city regulations, especially given other local bbq joints dont smell on the street. It is possible there are regulations about venting smoke on to the street.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

You'll need $$$ but a southern pride or Ole Hickory or similar type smoker. I've been using them for 7 years now, and I cook brisket 14 hours overnight. You still get to use real wood, but you don't have to fuss with it every half hour all night long.

When I was between my two restaurants I got hired as executive chef at a place that wanted to start doing BBQ and their solution for brisket was to cook at 275 for about 5 hours and then finish in the oven rather than spend money on a good smoker. It was awful and needless to say I left there quickly.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

I don't know the codes in Cleveland but for many areas, especially urban BBQ joints burning wood really isn't an option and you will not be popular with your neighbors. You'll need to know of comply with any city ordinance.

I know that is unrelated to your question.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I would think something like the Myron Mixon rotisserie smokers would be the best way to go. They're stickburners with gas assist, so you can get that lovely stick burning aroma while you're there, and when you're ready to close up shop you can turn on the gas assist and it will keep your temps perfectly even all night long.

https://myronmixonsmokers.com/commer...serie-smokers/

https://youtu.be/egRaDB-7uP0

These smokers can also behave just like an Alto Sham and be holding boxes, so you don't need to have extra equipment or move your meat during the entire cooking process.

Good luck with your venture!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
e11even
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Steve

You can cook the brisket the day before for the next day, then put the brisket in a Cvap or alto shamm to hold the brisket overnight at safe temp. I use a Cvap for this. Also you could smoke it up until you wrap then finish in an oven. You can also look into smokers that allow you to step away. I have a J&R that can smoke for hours unattended and there are others that can do this as well like the ole hickory. You just need to make sure you have a big coal bed and throw on enough splits before you split for the night. Obviously you wont be able to walk away from a true offset stick burner. But you can still cook during the day and hold overnight for the next days service. Lots of places do this. Franklins is cooking his briskets during the day for the next days service. I think he pulls his at like 1am but you can start your cook earlier so you will be pulling them earlier.
e11even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
OOMPDADDY
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Do you mean Craft BBQ?

Oh, back to your question.... look into Alto Sham warming ovens to hold your briskets. And don't forget your checkbook.
Craft BBQ is a term I heard that refers to using a fire to cook more like a boutique I guess. Instead of using electric smokers and automatic cookers.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
OOMPDADDY
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Welcome to the site. The Great smells I've always had were from stick burners. I know these days it's more induction heat of other forms but that smell sure does make folks want to stop and eat.
Thanks man. Do you have a restaurant? If so how do you cook yours?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
OOMPDADDY
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
If you want to cook Kraft BBQ, Kraft sells pre cooked BBQ, you wont have to worry about manning the Pit all night, since it only takes a few minutes to reheat.

Jokes aside, You might want to look into a Pellet Smoker with Wifi, you can monitor, and control the heating temps from miles away. And pellet smokers produce great smoke rings, trust me, i know.
Haha. I had no idea Kraft made BBQ? Ill have to cook into the pellet smoker. I wonder if they are good for a commercial application. I like that traegar one.

Tags
brisket, catering, cooking equipment, cooking times, offset smoker, profit margins, Restaurant