Used 22.5 WSM (vs kettle)

cullenbranson

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Long time proud owner of a OTS here. I smoke and grill on it. I've never owned anything else. Probably my favorite possession due to its simplicity and functional use. I have an opportunity to purchase a used WSM 22.5" for $150. Considerations for purchase are: is it right price? I have limited space and fear of the unknown.

I'm considering it because I could use the cook space occasionally. Anyone have both units or strong opinions either way? Thanks.

Not sure of the shape, but if it's in good shape, I'd go for it. As for function, I have both and love both. With just those 2 things, you can pretty much cook anything you want any way you want to cook it. Not sure of your setup, but I'm glad to have both. I love them both, but if you can ONLY have one, i would keep my kettle for it's versatility. When run properly, I have found the WSM to be much easier to leave unattended for periods of time and has smaller dips and spikes than the kettle when I"m smoking. All that to say if possible and in good shape, scoop up the WSM and keep the kettle. You will not regret it.

If it's not damage and has a tight fit that is a great price.

$150 for a 22.5" WSM in good condition is a steal! You can never have too many cookers :_D

Agreed with the others. If the WSM is in good shape, $150 is a very good price. Do you know why it is available?

Why don't you have this already. I would have called them whenever I saw this and offered to paypal the money immediately even if it were 3 am. Watch for the cops when you leave because you are basically stealing it.

Get it, a designed smoker is not the same as a grill, its a better smoker than the kettle, the kettle is a great grill.

If it's not damage and has a tight fit that is a great price.

Interesting "tight fit" comment. I've been eyeing these new for a while. The first thing I notice on showroom floors is the doors appear to be loose fitting. Is this by design, or is it a bad assembly, and is that the reason for your warning? thanks

Agreed with the others. If the WSM is in good shape, $150 is a very good price. Do you know why it is available?

only comment so far is that the thermo is stuck. which i don't really care about . . . I think. I can't imagine it serves much of a purpose??

only comment so far is that the thermo is stuck. which i don't really care about . . . I think. I can't imagine it serves much of a purpose??

Those thermos are easily replaceable. I concur with all the others. I still smoke on my kettle occasionally, but having a dedicated smoker has changed my life. You will also love the capacity of that thing.

Smoke E Z - 22.5in Retail Price $220.00
22.5" Stacker Sold out
It'd be an easy decision for me.

Interesting "tight fit" comment. I've been eyeing these new for a while. The first thing I notice on showroom floors is the doors appear to be loose fitting. Is this by design, or is it a bad assembly, and is that the reason for your warning? thanks
Looking to make sure it's not out of round, a lot of times the displays will be out of round because they were not handled properly.

After a few cooks it will tighten up.

I didn't wait for mine to season in. I ordered some stuff from bbqgaskets.com before mine even got here to seal the door and got some extra for the lid. LOL!

Score! Made the purchase. Near as I can tell, it was the perfect set of circumstances and today was just my lucky day. I'd take pics, but raining on me now and I'm no photographer to start. Will post my first cook on this thing. Appears to be in near perfect condition, model year 2013. Not even sure I want to clean this thing up at all. I've never smoked a fatty . . . maybe time. thanks to all for your pushes in the right direction!

Back