MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comp pork tenderness scores

Does bark hurt the tenderness score? How many of you include bark?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Judges DO like bark. If it's good bark, not burnt or jerky like,put it in the box.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Some of the newer judges, believe it or not, arent that familiar with BBQ. Some of them think the bark represents burnt pork...even the good bark.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Every competition is different. First, I suggest seeking out those with 100% CBJ's. Also, to some degree, sanctioning bodies, as their certification processes can be different. Where I'm heading is that the contests with 100% CBJ's will have more seasoned CBJ's and they'll appreciate a better bark, as long as it's not tough, chewey, or actually burnt.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

As a judge (and cook) I realize that the bark us "usually" a bit dryer and tougher than the inner portions of the pork, so I concentrate more of my Tenderness score on the inner and then the Taste score on overall how the bark and inner comes together. One suggestion: DON'T OVERSAUCE the pork!!! Judges are looking for pork flavor along with the bark and sauce and smoke. I've had some pork that was so drenched in sauce that you could not taste any pork flavor at all. I know that this question is on tenderness, but I felt compelled to throw in the Taste as well.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys. I normally include bark and I love it but I thought maybe the whole cooking at home vs comp pork might be causing lower tenderness scores. I've read on here that if your brisket has bark on it then it will get scored down on tenderness so I thought maybe it would apply to pork also.