MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie
Smile Full Spares?

Hey All,

So ever since I started smoking ribs I have bought full spares and cut them down to a St. Louis cut. Now that I'm running my own vending operation I'd like to stop throwing money in the trash by wasting the trimmings.

Does anybody cook a full spare and if so what are the differences or things that I should look out for? I was also thinking about possibly doing a St. Louis cut and then turning the rib tips into almost faux burnt end squares.

I've got a lot of thoughts here, but just have never actually done a full spare rack of ribs. I'm vending ribs tomorrow so looking to give it a go and see how it comes out.

Thanks.

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 07-19-2018 at 10:06 PM..
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

For vending I would try and source backs or st Louis cut.

Some areas rib tips sell so you could trim them dice em up and sell separately. I don't think the average consumer wants the full spare experience

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

There's a place near me that makes rib boats with the tips. A paper boat with garlic bread opened wide, a pile of fries, and a pound of tips on top. Best meal they have.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
16Adams

Google Burns BBQ “regulars”

Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
16Adams

Google Texas monthly how to order gristle links and bag of breaks

Old 07-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Jason TQ

Rib tips are better than the ribs. Don't throw them away

Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Full spares have a lot of bits and pieces that some people might not care for. When I've cooked them a few times (ha I think the St. Louis ribs sold around here are just poorly trimmed spares) I've removed the really funky shaped bits/tips/whatever and saved it for other uses. Pressure cooker (or regular) chili comes to mind. I've used them in stocks before (collagen, they have lots of collagen) Rib tips sounds like another good option.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
pharp
Banned

I think you would be better off getting pre-trimmed St. Louis cut ribs...they are more per pound but if you are currently not using what you trim off then you would come out ahead and it would save you a lot of prep time.

You could also just offer rib tips on special a couple of days a week...if they are good you will probably get some folks that like them coming in for your special.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Some really good responses in here...consensus seems to be trim down to St. Louis and cut up the rib tips and serve them as well. Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

Those "Burns BBQ Regulars" look about right so I'll give those a go. I seem to recall rib-tips taking longer than the ribs to cook, does that sound right?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's fairly easy to take the tips you cut off during a St Louis trim and "debone" them...the cartilage is all in one strip. I season them and cook til rendered, then thinly slice them for use in beans at a later date. Now that I have a good meat grinder I'm considering throwing them into a sausage mix.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 AM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
It's fairly easy to take the tips you cut off during a St Louis trim and "debone" them...the cartilage is all in one strip. I season them and cook til rendered, then thinly slice them for use in beans at a later date. Now that I have a good meat grinder I'm considering throwing them into a sausage mix.
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I'm doing the rib-tip "squares" this time but will give "de-boning" them a shot next time.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #12
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I seem to recall rib-tips taking longer than the ribs to cook, does that sound right?
In my somewhat limited experience, the tips and the ribs cook in about the same amount of time when the tips have been separated from the ribs. I cook low and slow, so the timing might be different if you're cooking hot and fast. If you try to cook the whole rack as one piece, the tips take longer and the ribs are overcooked by the time the tips are done.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Some really good responses in here...consensus seems to be trim down to St. Louis and cut up the rib tips and serve them as well. Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

Those "Burns BBQ Regulars" look about right so I'll give those a go. I seem to recall rib-tips taking longer than the ribs to cook, does that sound right?
Rib tips don't take longer to cook for me. They normally cook a little faster. All depends on size of course.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #14
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Famous Dave's was selling quart "buckets" of rib tips at the D.C. Capital BBQ Championship this year for $10. Fries on the bottom, tips on top. They were easy to walk around with and quite good.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
16Adams

Pretty good article scroll to spares.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/...nd-spare-ribs/

I buy the smallest rack of spares I can find-like 3-4#. I removed the visible membrane and the 1/2” flap the membrane tucks under. After I cook I remove the brisket bone. Those are mine. Hot off the cooker I think those are some of the best pork I cook.

As for time, since I foil or wrap at some point, everything finishes at the same time. Many stores sell “value ribs” and spare rib briskets. These can be 50-60% less than regular racks of back and spares.

Value and brisket are never going to win a beauty contest, but for great flavor they are really good. A fun finger food.

The closer the bone the better the meat.

Last edited by 16Adams; 07-20-2018 at 06:54 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Full Spares