MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Help with a large (for me) cook

Having an “Abbie’s heading off to college party” next weekend and planning on cooking 3, 8-9lb butts (probably to IT=20 and a packer brisket (IT=205) on my 22.5 WSM. I don’t usually cook that much on it and I’m wondering how it will affect my cook: time-wise, vent-wise, fuel-wise, etc.

What’s the collective wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve done a few large cooks on the 22 so I will take a shot.

Temp wise - it’s going to run any temp you want, just depends how long you want the cook to take.

Vent wise - you will have to open them more to maintain that temp, how much really depends on your WSU since they are all a little different in terms of leakyness (if that is a word).

Fuel wise - you will use more fuel on a larger cook but I doubt it would be that much.

If I were doing the cook I would most likely get the butts done the day before, shred them throw them in a pan and then in the fridge foiled, and would concentrate on the brisket the day of the party. It will obviously be a longer cook that way but you can focus on the individual types of meat that way.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

The quantity should not be an issue, and should not affect time that much. How do you normally use your WSM? Lump, briquettes, water in the pan, etc?
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Cook them until time to wrap, then after you wrap, put in pans and into the oven...it's not cheating!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
The quantity should not be an issue, and should not affect time that much. How do you normally use your WSM? Lump, briquettes, water in the pan, etc?

I use KBB. Foiled pan without water. Usually smoke @ 250. It was 108 in OK today, so I’m half way there without lighting a match!

kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I’d do brisket first and hold that between 150-170F in the oven while the pork shoulders are getting their smoke on. Briskets are magical when held for more than 8 hours after getting to proper doneness. Doing it all at once will add stress to your life, lol.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would be mindful of the internal temps as you get toward the end of the cook, but would not use IT's to tell me when to pull and rest the meat. Probing for actual tenderness is much more reliable.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstaggs View Post
I use KBB. Foiled pan without water. Usually smoke @ 250. It was 108 in OK today, so I’m half way there without lighting a match!

Nice, full charcoal ring, let the temp come up a little higher than normal for all that cold meat, and get after it. I think I would put the 3 butts on the top rack for the 1st half of the cook, then swap the brisket to the top to set more bark and make it easier to monitor. The butts are more forgiving. Allow lots of extra time, because a long rest is your friend!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote