Rattlesnake experts?

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ok, which of you farkers have experience grilling rattlesnakes "on the bone" i.e. not filets? TIA

I saw this post and thought Rattlesnake, the liquor shot. Yes I'm an expert with those but I cant help you with the snake. Sorry. :-D

Here's a link to the last one I cooked.
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2018/05/rattlesnake-on-grill.html

Did blackened rattler with scallions, bacon wrapped jalapeno stuffed rattler, chickenfried rattler and a caper, lemon butter sauced rattler.

They were all tasty but the caper, lemon butter sauced was my favorite.

Good luck with it Dan and don't forget to tan the hide. :grin:

WXbk1JP.jpg

Thanks, Jeanie! I found our blog post on it. I actually was asking for a friend, but figured if I said, "asking for a friend" in the OP, nobody would believe me. :)

My friend is doing a special dinner night where he is cooking his way through the book of Genesis. His first dish involves lettuce wrap, snake, and a fig/pomegranate glaze.

Here's a link to the last one I cooked.
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2018/05/rattlesnake-on-grill.html

Did blackened rattler with scallions, bacon wrapped jalapeno stuffed rattler, chickenfried rattler and a caper, lemon butter sauced rattler.

They were all tasty but the caper, lemon butter sauced was my favorite.

Good luck with it Dan and don't forget to tan the hide. :grin:

WXbk1JP.jpg

Looks like a big snake, Jeanie. How long was it?

It wasn't huge, about 48". I left a bit of meat behind while removing the head with my pocket knife. It was just the only way I could separate the body from the head at the time. I suppose the snake would have been 54 or so inches. Still not huge.

Forgot to add.
I'll probably end up making a belt with it.

Thanks, Jeanie! I found our blog post on it. I actually was asking for a friend, but figured if I said, "asking for a friend" in the OP, nobody would believe me. :)

My friend is doing a special dinner night where he is cooking his way through the book of Genesis. His first dish involves lettuce wrap, snake, and a fig/pomegranate glaze.

Dan that sounds great! You can really get creative with the meat. It takes on flavors fairly well. It tastes like a cross between frog legs and chicken (to me). I soak the meat in salt water before cooking.
Hope you let me know how it goes! :grin:

Sorry, when I saw the title of the post, I got concerned. The dishes Jeannie made sound fabulous (as always). The Genesis meal sounds intruiguing!

However, I’ve got to share: if anyone DOES happen to end up on the wrong side of a rattlesnakes fangs, please contact the experts at one of the nations 55 poison centers by dialing 800-222-1222. :mrgreen:

Bruce Anderson
Executive Director
Maryland Poison Center

Sorry, when I saw the title of the post, I got concerned. The dishes Jeannie made sound fabulous (as always). The Genesis meal sounds intruiguing!

However, I’ve got to share: if anyone DOES happen to end up on the wrong side of a rattlesnakes fangs, please contact the experts at one of the nations 55 poison centers by dialing 800-222-1222. :mrgreen:

Bruce Anderson
Executive Director
Maryland Poison Center

Good post and agree.

Jake, the rattle snake, is not to be taken lightly.....he packs a life threatening wallop.

I will add contact 911 first to get the EMS moving before you call the poison center number.

Last edited:
Fark that!!!! I’d be running for the hills screaming like a fisher cat in heat!
I hate snakes. I might come back when it’s on the plate to try a bite. But if it’s alive. NOPE!

Fark that!!!! I’d be running for the hills screaming like a fisher cat in heat!
I hate snakes. I might come back when it’s on the plate to try a bite. But if it’s alive. NOPE!

Rant Engauge...

I am the opposite,there is a big list of things I wont eat because well Im a wussy. Rattle snakes are different for me, I just enjoy the hell out of watching them. Seeing a large Western Diamondback slithering along a trail is just really cool. I have stepped on them barefoot, I have pulled one out of my dogs mouth without even thinking about it. Many times I should have been bitten, (knocking on wood. )
Not shaming in anyway, but seeing the skinned bugger just strikes an odd cord with me. I dont deny someones life just because I dont like something in it, plenty of people feel that way about my life and glass houses and all. And in the grand scheme you said belt which is utilizing the animal and that is always the best use.
OK done

It wasn't huge, about 48". I left a bit of meat behind while removing the head with my pocket knife. It was just the only way I could separate the body from the head at the time. I suppose the snake would have been 54 or so inches. Still not huge.

Forgot to add.
I'll probably end up making a belt with it.

Ha! 48" to 54" rattler is big as far as I am concerned and I hope to never see one that big. I did kill a 3' rattler last week that found it's way into my well house.

Rant Engauge...

I am the opposite,there is a big list of things I wont eat because well Im a wussy. Rattle snakes are different for me, I just enjoy the hell out of watching them. Seeing a large Western Diamondback slithering along a trail is just really cool. I have stepped on them barefoot, I have pulled one out of my dogs mouth without even thinking about it. Many times I should have been bitten, (knocking on wood. )
Not shaming in anyway, but seeing the skinned bugger just strikes an odd cord with me. I dont deny someones life just because I dont like something in it, plenty of people feel that way about my life and glass houses and all. And in the grand scheme you said belt which is utilizing the animal and that is always the best use.
OK done

I agree that a rattle snake is cool and definitely does not to be put on the "instant kill at at all costs" list. I've only killed one, and I ate him as well as tanned the hide.....I stumbled on him, and he was aiming to bite me.

I've never killed any animal I didn't have full intentions to eat.

Back