MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #61
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I especially like the CI grate set up. The mini set up is very cool as well.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?3962...tack-questions

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #62
b.m.
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I never "piped in and said build a UDS". I simply responded to the fact the you can build a clone for a lot less than indicated in the OP.
Plain and simple. Perhaps you should reread my post before quoting something I never said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect

"The IKEA effect is a cognitive bias that occurs when consumers place a disproportionately high value on products they partially created."

There is a really big gap between the aesthetic quality of an item you build for yourself, vs. what a commercial mfg. can build and sell to a consumer. That gap runs up some significant $$.

For example- I build a uds, I recondition a drum. I regard my time as "free". As a mfg trying to make a buck, the labor involved in reconditioning a drum FAR exceeds the cost of just buying a new drum. The new drum will still look better than the reconditioned drum.

BM
b.m. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #63
b.m.
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I'm down with that.

I need a recipe for that fatty. Is that a bell pepper or an ortega chili in there?

BM
b.m. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #64
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.m. View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect

"The IKEA effect is a cognitive bias that occurs when consumers place a disproportionately high value on products they partially created."

There is a really big gap between the aesthetic quality of an item you build for yourself, vs. what a commercial mfg. can build and sell to a consumer. That gap runs up some significant $$.

For example- I build a uds, I recondition a drum. I regard my time as "free". As a mfg trying to make a buck, the labor involved in reconditioning a drum FAR exceeds the cost of just buying a new drum. The new drum will still look better than the reconditioned drum.

BM
Very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I am going to coin a new term: "The PBC Effect." It is condition that results when someone who buys the PBC, and has great success with it and is so impressed with the customer service the company provides, that they just can't help boring people with how great the product is. It manifests itself in posting long diatribes to web forums and encouraging other people to come under the spell of the PBC Effect. I don't personally know of anyone that this applies to, but feel free to name names if you like.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #65
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

This argument is no different than cars. "Why spend $70k on a new Corvette when I can buy a busted Nova on craigslist, mod it, and run a faster 1/4 for $10k!"
jdtTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #66
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtTX View Post
This argument is no different than cars. "Why spend $70k on a new Corvette when I can buy a busted Nova on craigslist, mod it, and run a faster 1/4 for $10k!"
Agree but which one makes the better smoked meat?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #67
Fwismoker

OMG Bob...now look what you did!, You've brought in the IKEA effect? Lmaorof!

2 things i need to know.

1) How can you hang a fattie ...looks delicious!

2) How did i go all these years without knowing the IKEA effect??

So if I think my BP cooker is better than a WSM I've been ikea'd?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #68
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I am going to coin a new term: "The PBC Effect." It is condition that results when someone who buys the PBC, and has great success with it and is so impressed with the customer service the company provides, that they just can't help boring people with how great the product is. It manifests itself in posting long diatribes to web forums and encouraging other people to come under the spell of the PBC Effect. I don't personally know of anyone that this applies to, but feel free to name names if you like.
Why do i have a feeling Noah has the urge for a ciggarette?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #69
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauvis View Post
I was not referring to you specifically. My apologies if it seemed that way.

Ah, in other words, there isn't anything to understand.

Guess I misunderstood, no problem.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #70
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Have a friend who made a 30 imitation ... figured it cost about $200 and no horse shoes.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #71
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer View Post
Have a friend who made a 30 imitation ... figured it cost about $200 and no horse shoes.
That sounds about right without the porcelain coating. However if it doesn't have the horseshoes "good luck" in trying to make tasty bbq. (See what I did there?)
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #72
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Not to keep chasing the same tail but my original post was about building a PBC clone with all new materials with a porcelain coating and trying to do it for less than $299. You even admitted in a previous post that:
"I think it's safe to say that the average Joe, can't buy the parts for the price that someone who is buying hundreds of them. That's why people buy used drums and make their own...
No one denies you can build a great UDS for less than the PBC. But it would be quite a feat to match the PBC spec for spec.
OMG AGAIN???????????

I never once said or implied that myself or anyone else could build AN ALL NEW clone using the exact same stuff OR even close for cheaper including but not limited to the all important porcelain coating.
Please point out were I said that.

I think we established a looooong time back it can't be done no ifs, ands or buts. Not going to happen. Next to humanly impossible. No one should even think about it trying, it's a bad idea. You would be wasting your time, you can't do it. If you ever thought about it, you're wrong.

YOU ARE RIGHT.... IT CAN NOT BE DONE. Is there anything else I need to so you will feel like you won? At this point if I never see the term porcelain coating again, it will be too soon

Old 05-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #73
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Agree but which one makes the better smoked meat?
Well a Nova was mostly steel and the Vette is fiberglass, so vintage probably wins this one! :D
jdtTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #74
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Personally I think the PBC is better than a UDS just because I think it's funny razzin up all the UDS guys and watchin them get to the point they need a stiff drink. ......Honestly though, I've never had a UDS or a WSM but I have often wondered if there is really a difference between the PBC, WSM, or UDS when it comes to the flavor of the food they produce. I would bet it's awful close!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]

Last edited by AClarke44; 05-08-2015 at 02:23 PM..
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #75
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
OMG AGAIN???????????

I never once said or implied that myself or anyone else could build AN ALL NEW clone using the exact same stuff OR even close for cheaper including but not limited to the all important porcelain coating.
Please point out were I said that.

I think we established a looooong time back it can't be done no ifs, ands or buts. Not going to happen. Next to humanly impossible. No one should even think about it trying, it's a bad idea. You would be wasting your time, you can't do it. If you ever thought about it, you're wrong.

YOU ARE RIGHT.... IT CAN NOT BE DONE. Is there anything else I need to so you will feel like you won? At this point if I never see the term porcelain coating again, it will be too soon
And there's the first candidate for a stiff drink...

You know you aren't required to view this thread if it makes you that upset, right?
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build a UDS, Godwin's Law, ikea effect, jimmy cooker, PBC Clone, PBC Haterz, pit barrel cooker, porcelain coating, smokin fatties