Figured I'd give this a shot

Kevin89

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked up an Anova Sous Vide off slickdeals, wife is away so I decided a nice ribeye would do. Picked up a 1.2lb ribeye from whole foods and rubbed with Oakridge Carne Crosta. Threw it into the 129* water bath for 90 mins. Removed it and applied some more carne crosta to sear a nice crust. Turns out this thing is awesome, probably the best steak I've made to date. Pics below.

UqBqu2O.jpg

dwnwSdN.jpg

H2owHP0.jpg

yEyneQ0.jpg

5VPTRDw.jpg

qOu0B0L.jpg

S2RiyU5.jpg

qOPyNiX.jpg

RCTCZd9.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Extremely nice looking cook. Just hope the wife doesn't see this or she will know just how well you eat when she isn't around.

Wow, that's a beautiful piece of meat... before AND after!

You folks may talk me into getting one of those gizmos yet.

Beautiful steak, before, during and after the cook... I do love my Anova.

From my experience That CC must have a low salt content because adding salt right before Sous Vide, draws out a lot of juices. Your steak looks juicy so you either got lucky, or CC is low on the salt content.

That, I believe, is a misconception of the results. Sous Vide itself draws out alot of juice from the meat being cooked...salt or not. There is a ton of juice in the bag after cooking even if no salt was added. It is a common practice to add salt before sealing it up.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
From my experience That CC must have a low salt content because adding salt right before Sous Vide, draws out a lot of juices. Your steak looks juicy so you either got lucky, or CC is low on the salt content.

I don't know the wizardry behind this, but I don't have to know as long as it keeps turning out this like, med-rare end to end, juicy as ever.

Sous Vide itself draws out alot of juice from the meat being cooked...salt or not.

I have to disagree with you here. Water is lost out of meat when the proteins denature and shrink, which is what squeezes out the water. This happens with higher cook temps. That is why a rare steak off the grill won't have a bloody pool under it and a medium steak will. Lots of folks think less cooked = more bloody pool and it's exactly the opposite. If the steak had been cooked at 125 F, there would have been very little moisture in the bag. I've cooked chuck roasts SV to 130 over 24 hours and did lose some moisture, but no where near like what happened when I cooked one to 180.

Salt doesn't draw out moisture permanently, given the cook time. When you put salt on meat, it will initially bring moisture to the surface. However, given enough time (which may or may not happen with a steak cook) the moisture will be reabsorbed into the meat. Again, it's likely the cook temp is the culprit here, not the salt.

TL;DR The higher temps meat is cooked at, the more water the meat is going to lose.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Back