UDS COVER find/ What is it?

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
My friend is a Refuse Collection Distributor, and he scores some unbelievable things, circular saws, big bertha drivers etc... anyways he scored this for me,
What kind of grill did this come from? Take a look at the slits, there are 4 of them, are they too much for air vents. The cover overlaps the lip, and the inside of the lid has an edge thats on top of the UDS lip...

Could smoke this past weekend, but did get to do the 3rd best thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 211
The material is like a Weber, heavy, procelin(sp?) outter layer?, it has a place for a handle on the front side, and looks like it should hinge to something.
Its brand new, so smells like...well ...brand new! :-D

If it fits, it should work. Only problem with it will be shutting it down when you finish cooking. I can't see anyway to close the vents. But hey, foil works for me. It won't be that hot so you could probably duct tape it...

If the shoe fits, wear it! I've seen some kettles by Char-Broil, Sunbeam and others that are 22". Weber has a Sears "Economy" model kettle that has bolt on plastic handles and daisy wheel vents with an ash try in the kettle.

Brian

Last edited:
That's a cover for a one holer, see the rancid fumes build and vent through the slits. It looks clean because methane is relative colorless. Once the heat hits it the true "colors" will come out. Scott

:)

That's a cover for a one holer, see the rancid fumes build and vent through the slits. It looks clean because methane is relative colorless. Once the heat hits it the true "colors" will come out. Scott

:)

Ok Yak, I know there was a joke in there, but it went totally over my head! What a "one holer" It just might be my sleeping meds....:eek:

My first thought was, "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

But if the lid fits . . .

Looks like a pretty good find!

Oh you beotch, you find the perfect lid and then go play a course like that!!
What a beotch.....
ModelMaker

P.S. I'm the same color as your new lid.

Last edited:
My first thought was, "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"
Dalek Mod??? As good a robot as they were, could never get them to use the plunger correctly :wink:

Is that course out by Poipu Point?

Attachments

• 528px-Daleknew.jpg
    528px-Daleknew.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Dalek Mod??? As good a robot as they were, could never get them to use the plunger correctly :wink:

Is that course out by Poipu Point?

Richard, that is Poipu Bay Golf resort, they have a 50.00 "locals" fee. (still too much!)

Keale, seriously found out...I was sams yesterday and they have some no name grill system with the exact same lid, only red. Same slits, holes, etc. So what you have there is the lid off some no name grill set up. Scott

I have one of those grills!

I have that same lid on my old gasser. Best gasser I've ever owned, and it was a no-name Wal Mart find for $75 (half off the original $150) at the end of the season about 5 years ago. I went back to get a 2nd one, but my boss had bought the last one. :sad:

Even though it's a no-name, it makes killer food and did a pretty good job at butts. It is neat because it has two circular burners. One inside and one outside, so indirect cooking was pretty even. I could hold it at 250 for as long as the gas kept up. But it's sat neglected for about 3 or 4 years now, since I bought the Egg.

The grates for the grill are porcelain coated. It is maybe a little bigger then the 22.5" Weber kettle. The grate is 2 parts, like a donut. You can take out the inside grate and the grill looks like a donut. It came with a wok, and even better - a cast iron dutch oven. :cool: You set the dutch oven down in the donut hole when you remove the inner grate. So you could dutch oven cook over the small burner and still have a big circle of cooking space over the outer burner. :eusa_clap It has nice shelves on each side of the lid, and a couple of shelves under the grill. It has the basic shape of a Weber kettle, but is heavier. The only gripe I had about it was the hardware used to hold the wheeled legs on is plastic, and not too sturdy.

IMHO if a "good" company would produce this thing, it would be a tremendous hit.

I've been looking at the lid since I joined this board, wondering if I could use it on a UDS. You'll have to keep us posted about how a UDS does with that lid. If it works for you, I'll be making a UDS soon. :cool:

guys, the slits are too big, I think, but the lid fits like a glove! try it! I'm proabaly putting silicon on 4/5 slots, the inner lip sits right on the lip of the UDS

Slits are probably made with louver dies. Turn upside down, put against 4X4 and puy 2x4 on end against slit and give a wack until closed somewhat.

You could use muffler tape to seal up a couple of the holes. Get the aluminum stuff...not the faux "asbestos" type!!

Back