MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is the preferred type of dry rub you use most of the time?
An original homemade rub 43 35.54%
A commercially sold rub 43 35.54%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe followed "to the letter" 3 2.48%
A commercially sold rub that I like to "doctor up" 8 6.61%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe that I like to "doctor up" 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I used to use only homemade rubs, because at the time, I wasn't aware of any commercial rubs that were worth a hoot, and a couple of mine were really good. But I recently tried some of the high quality Brethren rubs, like Rub Company and Simply Marvelous, and they really are great. So now I use both, depending on what I'm cooking.
^^^^^ this

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Those that only use commercial rubs may not have the knowledge of how to put together a good flavor profile so they let someone else do it for them.

Get the knowledge it is worth it and more satisfying than using someone else's rub.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #33
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

I personally dont have time to make my own rubs and I would hate to disappoint my guest with a failed attempt. I stick with what works for me. I've bought a few rubs but hands down Oakridge bbq's beef and pork competition rub is my favorite. I did buy some Yardbird while I was at Bass Pro Shop to try on chicken since so many of you guys recommend it.

Last edited by che22879; 11-16-2011 at 01:59 PM..
che22879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #34
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

I have done both and will continue to do both and as my skillset improves, I hope to develop more of a knack for mixing my own stuff. I don't think one must make their own in order to be a "cook" though. Like it was said earlier, there is a lot more to preparing good food than just rubbing some spices on it. Some of the best food I've cooked have only had salt, pepper and garlic... Some have just had salt and pepper.

Rubs are just ingredients in the total experience. If you don't know how to cook then it don't matter if you get rubs off a shelf that are so good they come in gold clad containers your food will still make you want to chase down a dog so you can lick his arse to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

I do concede however, that quality ingredients definitely make food better, on the other hand, if you don't know how to use said ingredients you won't get good results.
Bluehawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #35
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

That says it for me. Still, not against trying a Commercial rub.
Also, tend to start out with cookbook recipes and tweak from there.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #36
Smoking Bruin
Full Fledged Farker

I 've always made my own, until I pulled the trigger on the HDD. I also ordered the sampler pack, which I haven't used yet, so depending on how it goes, I might be making less of my own in the future.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. Sure you can throw some common ingredients together which may taste fine but there is MUCH more to creating a top-notch rub than that. We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #38
qapla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Qapla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
Just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. Sure you can throw some common ingredients together which may taste fine but there is MUCH more to creating a top-notch rub than that. We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen.
Don't want to re-post .... see this thread post #27 for my reply to the above comments.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...34#post1852634

Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #39
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
I have heard great stuff about your products.
That being said.

I am striving to reduce the amount of processed foods I eat.

IE: Raw sugar vs white (processed) sugar

So the terms "chemist" and "food scientist" do nothing to make me want to try a commercial rub.

Neither do any of the additives typically added to rubs to prevent clumping, etc (not suggesting your products have any).

I drink like a fish, eat BBQ and grilled foods regularly, so anything I can do to increase the food intake of foods that haven't seen a processor that better off I am.

Buying whole spices allows me to determine what does and does not go into my runs. While buying commercial or boutique rubs don't.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #40
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I have heard great stuff about your products.
That being said.

I am striving to reduce the amount of processed foods I eat.

IE: Raw sugar vs white (processed) sugar

So the terms "chemist" and "food scientist" do nothing to make me want to try a commercial rub.

Neither do any of the additives typically added to rubs to prevent clumping, etc (not suggesting your products have any).

I drink like a fish, eat BBQ and grilled foods regularly, so anything I can do to increase the food intake of foods that haven't seen a processor that better off I am.

Buying whole spices allows me to determine what does and does not go into my runs. While buying commercial or boutique rubs don't.
Nothing wrong with that my man! Just stating some facts. To each his own!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #41
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo View Post
I enjoy making my own rub. I also enjoy making my own sauce. One of the books I enjoy is Peace love and BBQ. Mike gives you detail flavor profiles of spices and suggestions on how they could be used. He also has a chart of do use and do not use spices. By making my own dry rub I feel like I am more a part of the process. It is really fun when your friends say where can I get that rub or sauce and I can smile and say you have to make it yourself
I have also enjoyed making rubs and sauces for my friends varying taste. One of my friends likes it sweet and mild so pepper or cayenne is not in his rub or sauce.Then there is the dreaded Low carb verision I make for myself cause I tend to blow up easily!
So here comes the confession FORGIVE ME BROTHERS AND SISTERS FOR I HAVE PURCHASED HABANERO DEATH DUST! actually two packages! I just could not resist trying the fire powder! But i have not opened it yet
There is room for everybody here. If you like buying rub good for you If you make your own I hope you enjoy that as much as I do
Send the death dust to me and all is forgiven.

Next day delivery before 10am please.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #42
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Send the death dust to me and all is forgiven.

Next day delivery before 10am please.
Here ya' go... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=120441

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #43
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I have a 9000 square foot garden, grow my own herbs, save seeds to grow the next year and make my own rubs. Heh, I'm the only real cook here...

My name is Monty, dad, or grandpa...depending on who you are.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #44
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

just because it homemeade doesn't make it good.But some of you people that complaing about commercial rub use charcoal briquett with a chunck of wood and think that bbq go figure
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
FrizzleFry
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post

just because it homemeade doesn't make it good.But some of you people that complaing about commercial rub use charcoal briquett with a chunck of wood and think that bbq go figure
Lawry's? That's the Devil's food! You're probably one of the sweet cornbread eatin' Yankees.

Just joking of course.
FrizzleFry is offline   Reply With Quote