MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Default I have joined Team Weber: and I have questions

Sorry I have not posted much in the last year or so. Nothing against the Brethren. I just don't post much on public forums or social media these days. I do lurk here and appreciate those of you who keep this site at its well earned level.

I am not a big collector of grills. I like to have the correct amount of grills in the back yard to handle just about every style of cooking. Right now, I am using a Rec Tec pellet grill for low and slow cooks and Primo Xl oval kamado for high temp cooks. My Primo is a bit long in the tooth. Firebox is cracked in several spots but is functional. I need to replaced the gaskets (again). The lid probably needs to be realigned as there seems to be air gaps. But since I only use it for high heat cooks, there really isn't much motivation to put the work in on it.

I decided it is time for a new grill. Was thinking offset stick burner but really don't have time to dedicate to super long cooks and like the food that comes off of the pellet grill just fine and love the convenience and ease of use. The style of cooking that really appeals to me is open fire cooking, specifically Santa Maria/Argentine brasero pits. Settled on Lonestargrillz but it is bigger than the space I have available. I could make it work but at the expense of an angry wife. She would walk right past it every time she comes and goes. Compared to other builders LSG is a good price but once I had it the way I wanted it I was around $2500. It is a cool pit and a fun way to cook but maybe not enough use to justify the outlay of funds.

Then I came across the Gabby's Grill attachment for Weber Kettles.

https://gabbysgrills.com/product/gab...ll-attachment/

So ordered the 26" Gabby's grill Santa Maria attachment and it ships out today via UPS. A 26" Weber Kettle was delivered yesterday. So by next weekend, I will be up and running on some improvised Santa Maria cooking filling out my home cooking arsenal.

But my OCD is kicking in with my natural tendency to reduce clutter and number of grills. I can kick out the Primo and retire it to my country house where it would live next to my UDS. We also have 2 stickburners there as well.

First question. Is there any benefit to have both a kamado and a kettle? I don't entertain huge groups of people. Mostly my wife and I + a couple couples every now and then. The pellet grill handles most slow cooked items and the 26" can fill in with extra capacity cooks.

I really love the idea of the Kettle. As much as I like the versatility of a Kamado, a kettle paired with the proper add ons can be way more versatile. In fact, I whenever I recommend pits to people a Kettle is always the first thing I say due to low cost, quality and versatility. I guess it was only a matter of time before I had my own. And it isn't made of ceramic so I don't have to worry about breaking anything.

Next question: considering that I am almost up to $1000 on the kettle and santa maria add-on, just how necessary is it to add a slow n sear?

Most low temp parts of reverse sear cooks happen on my pellet grill with the searing part on the charcoal grill. If I buy the slow n sear I know myself well enough to where I would also buy the drip pan and easy spin grill grate. But I am not sure how much I would use it. But all 3 would be an extra $350.

Which brings me to another question: Just how necessary are the drip pans and easy spin cooking grates if you go with slow n sear? I see the benefit to the cooking grate for charcoal access alone, but does the drip pan give enough benefit to airflow or does the SNS draw just as well without it?

And yet another question couldn't I just acheive the same thing as the SNS by stacking up fire bricks on 1 side? And as a follow up to that, just how much better is the SNS compared to the stock charcoal baskets that already come with the grill?

And just one more question: Vortex. Should I want one of these too? I hear most people use them for chicken wings. I am not as picky about that. My plan for all chicken was to use the Santa Maria attachment for that. I guess I could always add one later.

Right now, my lean is to work with 3 grills through the first part of the summer, I will know the answer when I put them all in use. But I cannot see anything that the Primo does that the Weber cannot do just as well if not better.

The way I see it, if I go the full route by adding the full compliment of Slow n Sear goodies, I am still around half price of the dedicated Santa Maria pit but with a ton more versatility. Going to be a fun year either way.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

The easy spin grate is SS. I’ve never had a 26, but the 22s are plated, so the easy spin is an big upgrade for that alone. For two zone grilling in my WSCG, I don’t even bother with baskets, bricks, or the SnS low profile, I just pile charcoal over to one side and go. The SnS does make for easy setup smoking though. The vortex is hard to beat for chicken wings, legs, and thighs, but much different than Santa Maria would be. The drip pan is great with it just for convenience.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

My opinion is skip the SnS. Get the vortex and then get over the idea that it's only good for chicken. A friend of mine uses the inverted vortex shoved to one side of his 26. Gives him a great indirect cooking zone and also plenty of heat for searing.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Vortex is a cheapish tool that is well worth the money.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, guys. I did some searching of older threads and found some good information. I went ahead and bought the SnS bundle with EZ spin grill grate. With the Santa Maria attachment en route I have a good start. I want to play around with both and see what works best. Assembled the kettle last night and think the overall size is perfect.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Lots of good questions. Looking forward to your experiences and opinions.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 07:27 AM   #7
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

me too. It is going to be a lot of fun.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Chingador, I'm glad to see ya back! I don't have much to add in experience with any of the equipment listed, but I am excited to see the Santa Maria attachment working on a kettle. Get the pictures going in the future.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #9
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I'd sell the primo......That will help defray some of your cost. I have a XL BGE sitting in my garage that a friend won in a raffle. He dropped it off to me after he won it as long as I made him some ribs. I've used it 3 times in 3 years. I'd rather use my Performer kettle for high heat duty. You now have a badazz set up with the 26 and the Gabby's. If Weber ever made a 26" Performer with gas start, that would be my go to.....

Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
whoru
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Chris

I don't really think you'll regret any of the accessories you mentioned. I have both the SnS and the Vortex. Both get used often.

I use the Vortex exclusivley in the 22" kettle for chicken parts, chicken parmesan, chicken fried steaks, blooming onions, and anything that replicates deep fried cooking. A word of warning: Be careful as the handle can get very hot and the kettle lid is showing signs of wear from the extreme heat. I also use the Votex for grilling steaks. I flip the Vortex so that the wide side is up and set it over to the side of the kettle instead of the center. Puts a great cross mark on the steak.

The SnS gets used for medium/long and indirect cooks in the 26". Ribs, briskets, butts, moinks, pork shots, fatties, meatloaf etc. etc.. Is it necessary - no, but it makes for a far easier cook then setting up the snake method.

A friend of mine has the Santa Maria and he loves it for steaks and such. I'd get one, but I don't have the room to store it when not in use.

Chris
whoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #11
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat797 View Post
I'd sell the primo......That will help defray some of your cost. I have a XL BGE sitting in my garage that a friend won in a raffle. He dropped it off to me after he won it as long as I made him some ribs. I've used it 3 times in 3 years. I'd rather use my Performer kettle for high heat duty. You now have a badazz set up with the 26 and the Gabby's. If Weber ever made a 26" Performer with gas start, that would be my go to.....
I am thinking the same thing. I might put the Primo in the garage for a while and use the Weber for a while and see if I miss using it at all. Basically it is nothing more than a high heat blow torch for searing steaks. Just have to see how much I like using the Kettle for high heat. I do like how the ceramic dome can handle everything I can throw at it.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #12
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

A weber 26 is better for high heat cooking than a Primo, so I'd either move the Primo or sell it.

I'm in a similar dilemma. I'm getting a stick burner so I need to get rid of something. With the new stick burner and the IVC, there will be no need to do low and slow in the Primo I should move it on to someone else.

Once I commit to getting rid of anything I start questioning changing out anything that's not bolted down. It's fun.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #13
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
A weber 26 is better for high heat cooking than a Primo
Interesting and encouraging at the same time. Just how is Weber 26 better at high heat than a Primo?

Old 01-25-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I find the Weber to be easier to work with that my Kamado Joe was. Nothing that’s a big deal but just a little easier to setup and clean. The only thing that I find that the Kamado was good for was smoking at a higher temp (when I wanted to) than I prefer to do on the Rectec. That said, the Weber and S&S lets me easily run at 275-300 for a few hours to get smoke on something and then I can move it to the Rectec to finish

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looking forward ton your cooks and evaluation Love that Santa Maria idea
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD