MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

Default abt whole or sliced in half?

Normally when i made abt's i would cut top jalapeno, core out, stuff with cream cheese mixture and mini hotdog then wrap in bacon. Then throw it in jalapeno holder rack thing onto grill.

I have also seen people slice the jalapenos in half and lay them stuffed on the racks on there back.

Whats everyones preference?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just depends on volume people want to consume in a bite and also the texture of a whole vs half. I definitely like both, but probably the halves a bit more. Easier (relatively speaking) to stuff, I like that ratio a bit more most of the time and the way the internal ingredients heat up/cook vs being fully wrapped by an entire Jalapeno.

I've also backed down my use of cream cheese and don't stuff as full since I like other things like regular cheese and meats in the mix to stand out. I've definitely had some "cream cheese" heavy ones served and I just like a lower ratio.

Also in serving folks I've found people like smaller bites in general. So I almost never serve hamburger buns (it might be years) with pork or other products and opt for smaller rolls like Hawaiian or even small tortillas. People don't feel like they have to take a whole sandwich. Oddly people probably end up eating the same as it seems like 3-4 hawaiian rolls isn't the same as 1 sandwich .

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

halves for me

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Whole, stuffed with Mexican chorizo (pre-cooked) and cotija cheese.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
Normally when i made abt's i would cut top jalapeno, core out, stuff with cream cheese mixture and mini hotdog then wrap in bacon. Then throw it in jalapeno holder rack thing onto grill.

I have also seen people slice the jalapenos in half and lay them stuffed on the racks on there back.

Whats everyones preference?
I'm a "core-out/jalapeno rack thing" kinda guy!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

for the people that halve them, do you use half a lil smokie or a whole lil smokie?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
mrpigs
Full Fledged Farker

I've always ran with halves. Never tried them whole.

I don't want to mess with racks and I can make lots of them in pretty short order.

I have to make a ton when I do them, my family's favorite is using the mixture of my deep fried sauerkraut balls without the sauerkraut.

It's a mixture of cooked pork sausage, cream cheese, yellow mustard, diced onion and some granulated garlic and topped with sharp cheddar.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

halves here- all the way. and I try to get the ones that are just right- not too big/ not too small. I aim for 1/2 strip of (partially cooked) bacon to go around it - tucked not pinned. easy on the cream cheese with a bit of browned italian sausage and shredded cheddar mixed in plus a touch of what ever bbq seasoning I have.

I just ate- why am I hungry again?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I prefer halves.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I've never tried halves, I guess I'd better step up and see what I'm missing.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I prefer halves.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

We are hot-spice wussies, so halved it is. Every time I bite into one of the whole-pepper ones I end up screaming like a six year old girl....it's just embarrassing!
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
for the people that halve them, do you use half a lil smokie or a whole lil smokie?
Being the manly man that I am, it's the WHOLE Lil' Smokie.
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
halves here- all the way. and I try to get the ones that are just right- not too big/ not too small. I aim for 1/2 strip of (partially cooked) bacon to go around it - tucked not pinned. easy on the cream cheese with a bit of browned italian sausage and shredded cheddar mixed in plus a touch of what ever bbq seasoning I have.

I just ate- why am I hungry again?
Never thought to partially cook the bacon. Will try that next time I make some. Probably helps get a crispy bacon without over cooking the pepper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post
We are hot-spice wussies, so halved it is. Every time I bite into one of the whole-pepper ones I end up screaming like a six year old girl....it's just embarrassing!
I like to half them and be sure to remove all the white parts inside. Keeps them on the mild side. The stuffing is usually a mix of cream cheese and leftover bbq meat (most often pulled pork or brisket). For the bacon thinner is better, half slice per abt.

Thanks from: --->