Keeping rodents out of Blackstone griddle

Nickm62388

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have the Pro Series 36inch Blackstone griddle. It has the lid and I also cover it with an outdoor cover. No matter how good I clean after a cook, the next time I open up my lid there is turds either mouse or mole poop. And there would be a couple droppings in my drawers. I obvy have to oil my griddle after each cook so it don't rust, so maybe that is attracting it.....I have the grease trap opening on the back blocked off, and haven't checked since blocking that but I feel that's not going to do much, being the entire edges around the griddle are wide open even with lid closed for a little rodent to climb in....Any tips or pointers?

Rat traps? Whole unshelled peanuts attached to the trap paddle with very thin strips of duct tape.

Definitely a mouse. A mole would never climb up on your griddle. Tunneling for grubworms is all they do. If you even spot one above ground you need to play the lottery.
If you dont have any pets I would put out some Decon, just do it away from the house. They will follow the scent but you dont want them dying in or around your house or cooking area.

had a problem with mice in my gasser. put irish spring in it and have not had a problem since. Don't forget to take it out before you light er up.:doh:

Is Irish spring soap serious or a joke? I don’t want to use the snap traps on griddle only because sometimes they cause bloodshed depending on how they snap and I don’t want that on a place where I cook. It’s so annoying cause no matter how much I clean everything, they always come up thru all the books and crannies

Sticky pads will take care of the problem, slide a few underneath the bottom, I made a cover for mine and it has the front drain, I have a magnet that I set in the drain trough to stop them, its very strong and that stopped them from doing the same thing

Rodents ( squirrels and rats ) are a problem. I use sticky traps attached to spring traps.

Irish Spring has an overpowering smell> Rodents don't like it. Put on a piece of aluminum foil so it doesn't get on your grill. works better with a cover to concentrate the smell. What do you have to lose.

Only place I’ve ever seen mice on my patio was around my previous Blackstone 2 Burner. Never on the Griddle never any evidence on Griddle but under it. Specially when covered. Several times in the years I owned BS-2 a mouse would flee when removing the cover. I sold it for the Tabletop 17” but looking back I wonder if the cover attracted the mice. There are some automobile wiring harnesses that attract mice. I didnt/don’t use covers often on any of my cookers.

Early morning thoughts

I've never had problems with therm in my grills, but mice were a huge issue during winter storage of my Miata. My suggestions in order of success are scented dryer sheets and mothballs. I wouldn't want to be placing mothballs too close to the cooking surface, perhaps near any entrances they seem to find. Try the dryer sheets first.

Actually, now that I think of it, try some steel wool crammed into any crevices. They do not like chewing through it. Wadded aluminum foil might work also.

We've used Irish Spring hung from our arborvitae to ward off deer with mixed results.

Good luck.

(I hope the critters don't take up residence in my grills since having recently sold the Miata)

I was going to suggest a hardcover, but it looks like the Pro Series has a hood cover. So how about cutting a piece of 3/4" thick flat wood board that would fully cover the cooking surface? You could put a handle on it for easy removal. It would allow you to still cover it with the hood and keep the rodents off the cooking surface. Heck, you could also put a bar of Irish Spring on top of the wood for extra protection. I hope this suggestion doesn't sound too CHEESY.:razz:

Thanks for all the input...it’s frustrating because I spent the extra money for the pro series cause of all the storage and drawers but they are now all empty cuz the spices and utensils I feel were causing them to come by, along with the griddle constantly being oiled. I guess I will try a bar of soap lmao sounds funky and weird. But anything so that my cooking surface don’t have fecese on it everytime I open it up. I could never fill the crevices surrounding griddle because their open around the entire thing, even with the lid down.

Well I just loaded up my Blackstone with like 4 bars of soap so hopefully this finally gets rid of mouse droppings everytime I open lid

I was going to suggest a hardcover, but it looks like the Pro Series has a hood cover. So how about cutting a piece of 3/4" thick flat wood board that would fully cover the cooking surface? You could put a handle on it for easy removal. It would allow you to still cover it with the hood and keep the rodents off the cooking surface. Heck, you could also put a bar of Irish Spring on top of the wood for extra protection. I hope this suggestion doesn't sound too CHEESY.:razz:

This is a fantastic idea! You could even use something not as thick. It sux that you have to do that, though.

How will that keep them off my grill, it may kill off some, but I feel there’s no way it won’t let a straggler or two keep going to my grill

I think the safest and cleanest thing to do is to cut a piece of board to cover the cooking surface like I suggested above in my earlier post. As Patrick suggested, a thinner board would work too, like 1/2" would be sufficient.

Back