MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #31
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Man this does suck. I had a similar thing happen at the restaurant about 5 years ago , but it was my dumb ass not equipment issues. I wanted to get a jump on the ribs for the next morning, so I stayed late the night before to prep them. And I left them on the prep table, instead of back into the walk in. I was not happy with myself the next morning, but had only myself to blame. And additional prep work to get non spoiled ribs prepped for the day. I remember that feeling when I read you post.

On a different note, I have had great luck using the Johnson Controls A419 to control a freezer like you are. It is digital and you can set your desired presets pretty tight.
I've been using a Johnson Controller as well, but it's not the digital controller. It's the A19AAT here.

It looks like the thermostat had been moved somehow (I'm still blaming my cats...though realistically that dial is very difficult to turn), and that's why my refrigerator was way off. I've got it back up and running now and it's going from about 32-42° for the last 20+ hours. The model controller I have acts as a killswitch and it required no wiring or anything of that nature. It comes with a piece where I plug the freezer into the adapter, and then that adapter into the wall.

You think it might be time to upgrade to a digital controller? If so is it just as simple as the one I've got?

Thanks!

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 AM   #32
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Brethren,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. I serve lunch a couple days a week at a certain spot and I usually do pretty well. 30 racks of ribs usually goes in about an 1-2 hours, so it's a nonstop mad dash until I'm sold out. I found out my ribs were ruined at about 3am, but nothing is open overnight anymore (at least not in my area) due to Covid. Walmart used to be 24/7 but now it doesn't open until 7am. The only thing I could have gotten enough of to do a lunch service at such a short notice would have been chicken...but I already had chicken legs to go with the ribs...kind of a "Bone Day." I always offer 2 meats and chicken + chicken usually doesn't bring out the masses. So I decided to cut my losses and take the day off to get my equipment straightened out.

Again, thanks for all the kinds words as it certainly helped me turn my day around. This year is such an absolute nightmare! haha Cheers everyone!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2020, 04:26 AM   #33
Chuck W
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Kind of a rough morning to be honest. I had 30 racks of ribs stored in my chest refrigerator to be cooked for a lunch service today (BBQ food truck). I had the smoker fired up and went to grab the ribs out of the refrigerator and they were warm to the touch...felt like I had been kicked in the family jewels. I temped them just to be sure and they were at 55° internally. I even opened the cryovac just to make sure they were bad and was immediately hit with the smell of spoiled food.

Not only am I out roughly $250, but with nothing open overnight anymore, I'm missing another day of work. With Covid likely coming back and the 2nd wave of shutdowns already starting in some areas, I was really hoping to get in as much work as possible for the rest of this month and early into November.

For a refrigerator I've got a chest freezer which I run through a "kill switch" style external control. So essentially it's a chest freezer which functions as a large refrigerator...awesome in terms of storage. For the last 2 years this hasn't failed me a single time, but somehow the dial got messed up and instead of running between 35-40°, it was running between 55-60°. I've turned it back to where it's supposed to be and it's now it's running just fine...I think my cats might have messed with it because I refused to overfeed them. haha

I bought the RT-801 refrigerator / freezer thermometer from Thermoworks this morning. I've been looking at one for a while because I always had a feeling something like this would happen. The RT-801 pretty much acts just like a Thermoworks Smoke in that you can set high / low temps with alarms, so it should stop me from losing food in the future.

I hope everyone is having a better day than me!
I work in dialysis and about 3 years ago one of the refrigerators we store medication in failed. We lost nearly $20K in medications.

Since then we started using "Temp Stick". On Amazon it is $139. It will monitor and report deviations of temperature and humidity as frequently as you want it too (you set high and low alarm points). The more frequent it checks the shorter the battery life. Our experience has been that if it is set to check every 2 hours, the batteries last about 6 months.

Its only drawback is that it needs a good wifi signal which may be a challenge depending on the location of your refrigerator/freezer.

Chuck
Chuck W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #34
billbek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : They call me....Bill

On the J/C A19, you can remove the adjustment knob from the front of the control. It may make it less likely to be bumped in the future. The dial stays in place. I think there is also a screw inside that you can tighten to prevent the dial from moving once set too.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #35
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbek View Post
On the J/C A19, you can remove the adjustment knob from the front of the control. It may make it less likely to be bumped in the future. The dial stays in place. I think there is also a screw inside that you can tighten to prevent the dial from moving once set too.
I did try to pull the adjusting knob off, but no dice. I don't see any set screw or anything holding the dial in place. I'll mess with it again later and see if I can figure it out. Thanks so much!

Old 10-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #36
billbek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : They call me....Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I did try to pull the adjusting knob off, but no dice. I don't see any set screw or anything holding the dial in place. I'll mess with it again later and see if I can figure it out. Thanks so much!
I am an (older) hvac guy and we would use these for changeover stats for roof top equipment back in the day. Perhaps this model doesn't have those features but I remember securing the dials on them due to vibration with a set screw that was factory supplied. There was a small set screw on the knob somewhere too. Has been a long time...

Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #37
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I really hate to hear that. Praying that future sales will go through the roof and you'll make up the income. Keep up the good attitude. It matters and other notice and respect it.
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote