Pellet Grill (or other easy to use smokers) Recommendations ,

grakk

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking at getting a smoker/grill combo - I've seen a lot of threads on this in the past but wanted to ask for my situation. I've been using a Big Green Egg for 10 years and have gotten used to it, but would like something easier to smoke with as I find myself not smoking anything anymore. My wife doesn't use it as well for normal grilling, so I am looking for something easy to use as well.

Max budget is 3k - I don't want to go that high but will if I need to.

A bit about my situation:

• I have a crazy good infrared broiler in the house that I use for searing a lot now (does almost as good as my egg loaded with lump), but I still want to be able to sear on the grill - it doesn't need to be nuclear temps like you can get with charcoal though.
  • I typically cook for my wife and I, but can cook for upwards of 15 a few times a year (I don't mind multiple batches in theses cases - these are usually all day affairs). I also tend to cook 4-5 meals out when I do cook for the both of us.
  • Convenience is king for most cooking, but would like to be able really get heavy smoke flavor if at all possible (I know pellets fall on the lighter spectrum here). This isn't a dealbreaker at the cost of ease of use.
  • This smoker/grill would be left outside in the Texas sun year round (I have no covered outdoor area), things like the paint issue on the Yoders scare me. Are covers necessary?
  • Also would like something easy to clean. For reference, my big green egg sits out year round - if I need to clean it - I just load it with some charcoal and let it get real hot (then vacuum out the ashes). I know with a pellet cooker I need to empty the hopper often, but other than that I want it to be super simple.
  • My wife would like to get rid of the egg for space reasons if we get another grill.
  • Could be open to the idea of a small dedicated smoker as I can't imagine we would smoker more than a pork shoulder or a few chickens/rib racks at once

Thanks for any and all help! The research I've done seems to suggest Yoder, MAK, and Pitts and Spitts as likely candidates for me but as I said, I'm open to any other suggestions.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. It will produce smoke low and slow. It’s a set the temp and forget it. I have done a couple of brisket overnight. No problems does a good job. Very well made. Good luck with your search

I have the MAK 2*, also makes plenty of smoke, top quality construction. Cleaning the fire pot involves removing several things, but is easy to do.
There are 3 removable grates (one included with smoker), giving lots of room for ribs, etc.
The remote control is a bit finicky to setup on the MAK, but works well during use.
Since you will be keeping your smoker uncovered, remember to empty the pellet hopper if it will be exposed to humid weather.

I think MAK is the closest match overall to what you’ve laid out. Pellet convenience, heavier that average smoke (for a pellet) and some searing abilities.

What part of cooking on the BGE do you find too time consuming for smoking? Might help people come up with other options.

My experience with my KJ was that the actual cook was pretty easy and the time difference vs the Rectec was mostly in the setup time.

The already mentioned MAK 2 star would probably be your best pellet grill smoker grill combo that can be left out in the yard ( I would get a cover for it still). It’s right at 3k. They also have the lesser optioned 1 Star that is worth looking at for about 2k

The already mentioned Pitts and Spitts can be had in all stainless versions. This is my favorite smoker pellet grill with top and bottom slide out shelves made by a company making smokers since the early eighties. It’s a great smoker, but not as good at grilling as the Mak, although it does have the small trap door option. Prices range from about $1800 to 4K depending on size and wether you get all stainless or not. If you hadn’t listed grilling as a need, then this is what I would recommend.

Smoking Brothers also makes some nice smokers that have a good powder coat finish. Their premier plus models are good smokers and grillers and worth a look. These should all fall under 2k or there about.

I wouldn’t right off the Yoder though. It’s probably the best dual purpose of all these models in the grilling and smoking category with the way it is designed with its larger opening firebox area. Yes, it is made by a company that makes offset smokers and it is a metal smoker with stove paint surface that will rust out in the sun. That said, the rust will not affect longevity or cooking quality. It will be around for the long haul, although unless you spend some time touching up areas in need it will rust. Offset smoker users that leave their offsets out in the weather all know this. Some of the best BBQ comes from old rusty smokers that just cook well.

These are all made in USA top quality products. I am sure their are some others that I left out.

For a little less you can get into some of the better imports like a Rec Tec Bull or Camp Chef Woodwind. The Woodwind can be optioned with a side sear station that is simple to use.

Memphis Grill used to be all US made but sold out to the Chinese but still charge US prices. I say screw them, but they do, or at least did have good products.

Last edited:
I think MAK is the closest match overall to what you’ve laid out. Pellet convenience, heavier that average smoke (for a pellet) and some searing abilities.

What part of cooking on the BGE do you find too time consuming for smoking? Might help people come up with other options.

My experience with my KJ was that the actual cook was pretty easy and the time difference vs the Rectec was mostly in the setup time.

Well on my BGE, the way I went about smoking was to mix in my chunk smoking wood with my charcoal, so I'd usually need to clean the pit. Then I'd need to set up the platesetter, set up a water tray, then set the vents right. I'd then feel like I needed to check it quite often to make sure the temp wasn't off.

I suppose I could get something similar to a BBQ Guru to fix the checking part.

edit: Part of the of the reason I am thinking about doing this is that if I wanted to say.. smoke a chicken, or a pork loin, or anything on a shorter cook time - there isn't much setup needed outside of dumping in pellets/turing on propane/or loading charcoal. This is why I am open to the idea of a small smoker as well.

Last edited:
I cooked on kamados for years (Kamado Joes)... sold them all when I bought my first 2 Star, 3 years ago. Absolutely zero regret. I will say that every cooker has its pluses and minuses... but for me and the way I cook, the MAK has been the best overall grill/smoker that I have ever owned. I’d say my needs and wants in a cooker are pretty similar to yours... with the exception that I don’t like a super heavy smoke profile. I used to, then I bought a stick burner and a year later my MAK. I much prefer a light and clean smoke now compared to smoldering chunks. Totally get that taste is subjective, but perhaps you’ll have a similar experience. I have jokingly told my wife on more than one occasion that I am thinking about selling the MAK and going in a different direction. It’s the only cooker that she has ever put her foot down on. It ain’t going anywhere... lol.

I cooked on kamados for years (Kamado Joes)... sold them all when I bought my first 2 Star, 3 years ago. Absolutely zero regret. I will say that every cooker has its pluses and minuses... but for me and the way I cook, the MAK has been the best overall grill/smoker that I have ever owned. I’d say my needs and wants in a cooker are pretty similar to yours... with the exception that I don’t like a super heavy smoke profile. I used to, then I bought a stick burner and a year later my MAK. I much prefer a light and clean smoke now compared to smoldering chunks. Totally get that taste is subjective, but perhaps you’ll have a similar experience. I have jokingly told my wife on more than one occasion that I am thinking about selling the MAK and going in a different direction. It’s the only cooker that she has ever put her foot down on. It ain’t going anywhere... lol.

Its not that I want overly smoke flavor on my food, but I guess I'm a bit worried about spending 3k and when I do want a lot of smoke (brisket, pull pork, ribs, etc) and a thick smoke ring that I will be able to get it.

I will say from everything I've read I think I am heavily leaning towards a MAK with a cover.

Its not that I want overly smoke flavor on my food, but I guess I'm a bit worried about spending 3k and when I do want a lot of smoke (brisket, pull pork, ribs, etc) and a thick smoke ring that I will be able to get it.

I will say from everything I've read I think I am heavily leaning towards a MAK with a cover.
Smoke ring on a Mak is automatic for me. Never fails. If I want more smoke I run it at smoke setting longer before bumping up the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With a 3k budget you have a lot of choices. I'll put a plug in for a cheaper option. I am beyond impressed with my Weber Smokefire EX6. Weber has fixed most of the issues with this thing and I haven't had any problems. The flavor it produces is really good. My only comparison was my Grilla Silverback which was great in it's own right but nowhere close in the flavor it produced. I would love to try some of the higher end models mentioned but have been really happy with my purchase and find myself using my charcoal grills/smokers less and less.

You definitely want to go with a Pellet smoker/grill with a sear option. With a 3k budget, you have plenty of choices. My favorite, and probably the cheapest is the Pit Boss. I have a PB 820 that had a sliding plate that opens to a slotted grate over the fire pot. That's some serious flames/searing. But im sure there are other more expensive pellet grills that have a similar sear option.

I think you will get comparable smoking qualities from any of these better pellet grills. They will be milder than a stick burner, but probably comparable enough to your Kamado. I have a feeling though, that once you get the Pellet Grill, you will use it primarily for smoking/baking and use the BGE for grilling. I don’t think any Pellet grill can touch the BGE as a grill. The Pellet Grills will have about the same maintenance as your BGE. You will have to clean it out after nearly every cook as ash buildup (especially on longer cooks) are what caused problems with these units.

If I were dropping that kind of dime on a pellet cooker I would have to find some more dimes to build some kind of roof to put over it. Even if the maker says that the unit is fine in the elements I wouldn't feel good having something with electronics exposed like that.

I won’t be much help. I own a Yoder, so I say the Yoder wins. I have done many overnight brisket cooks and only lost sleep the first time. With the new FireBoard controller, you have complete control of the smoker. The paint is an issue, but it’s easy to fix, like really easy. It’s an outdoor tool, it will get messed up, paint is cheap. Awesome customer service

I love my US built Memphis Pro 304, but there's a good chance a Mak 2-Star will be replacing it.

Where in Texas are you? I have a Pit Boss Copperhead that I only used a few times and cooked in pans every time. It's a little dusty from sitting unused but it's basically new. I bought a Mak and sold my Pellet Pro and the other Copperhead I had. I'm in the Temple area.

I think you will get comparable smoking qualities from any of these better pellet grills. They will be milder than a stick burner, but probably comparable enough to your Kamado. I have a feeling though, that once you get the Pellet Grill, you will use it primarily for smoking/baking and use the BGE for grilling. I don’t think any Pellet grill can touch the BGE as a grill. The Pellet Grills will have about the same maintenance as your BGE. You will have to clean it out after nearly every cook as ash buildup (especially on longer cooks) are what caused problems with these units.

What I'm hoping is that for most things, I'd use the pellet grill. My wife would want me to get rid of the egg as we don't have a ton of room. What I thought would be superior would be things like steak and burgers.

Recently we got a broiler that gets up to 1800 that sears just as nicely as my egg ever did.. I'm thinking a reverse sear using the pellet grill and that broiler would be amazing.

For burgers.. I am all in on smashburgers on a flattop and haven't grilled a burger outside in a long time.

Is there something else you think I would really miss a direct heat charcoal grill for?

Where in Texas are you? I have a Pit Boss Copperhead that I only used a few times and cooked in pans every time. It's a little dusty from sitting unused but it's basically new. I bought a Mak and sold my Pellet Pro and the other Copperhead I had. I'm in the Temple area.

Cedar Park - so not too terribly far.

Cedar Park - so not too terribly far.
It's a vertical so it wouldn't take up much space. Bad part is that it will not grill. I figured if you wanted to test out pellets before spending real money but maybe it's not what you need?

The king of easy to clean with pellet grills is probably the Camp Chef line.

Pull one knob and the fire pot ash dumps into a removable cup you dump into an ash bucket. Pull another knob and you can dump most of the pellet hopper into a bucket. If you want/need to empty the auger tube you can run the auger feed and dump the pellets into the fire pot and dump them out the bottom too.

You can also sear on some of them. I don't know how well that works yet.

However, I'm not getting the smoke flavor I want. So far they've sent me a new temp probe that I have installed and I'm waiting on a new controller. The good news is they are trying to make me happy.

You would need a cover for them if you want to leave them out all the time but don't buy their cover. All reports I've seen say it won't last long.

Back