MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need New Beef Ideas!

Alright, I'm one of those people, who for my tastes at least, think all that good steaks really needs is salt, pepper, and some good charring and juicy middle, but everyone I'm cooking for said they want something new. I understand that it's the weekends and looking forward to something new on a Saturday night cookout when work is over is nice. They've all hinted that they've had their fill of the ole regular rosemary, red wine or red wine vinegar, Montreal Steak seasoning, Dale's marinade, Bourbon steaks, and probably 80% of the regular grilled steak recipes you see on the web or in books.

I guess me talking meat, grilling, and smoking so much has them thinking I know what I'm doing and am creative enough to make something great outside the norm. I have never shown them this site so maybe they won't learn I'm just a big ole copycat and noob. :-)

But does anyone have anything that is really tasty and a bit off the wall? The cut of beef doesn't matter, ribeye, tbone, sirloin, etc. Any cut that works well on the grill and is cut a bit on the thicker side and grills good, nothing low and slow kinda deal because my briskets haven't burned out the fam yet like regular steaks. I could eat a salt and peppered steak nightly if I could afford it, but not everyone loves beef like I do.

My fam luckily are all medium rare to medium cooked steak people so I really just need flavors since most steaks no matter the cut will be tender enough hopefully as long as I don't botch it and turn it to a gray chunk.

But thanks guys, and if ya got any real good and out there steak ideas and maybe sides throw em out. I know I ask a lot here and don't give near as much back, but hopefully you fellers ain't getting sick of me. Hopefully with some more learning and reading and practice I'll be posting up more and better food pr0n than I have. Looking forward to seeing what some of you fellers have under them grilling and smoking hats! No super secret recipes though, I don't want a hitman after me if it gets spilled! Lol!!! I ain't good at keeping recipe secrets! Lolol.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Get rid of em. I never get tired of un seasoned steak.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Haha me either. I need to trade the family then huh?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have found my self in that same situation a time or 3 that is when I use my super secret marinate.

1 bottle Zesty Italian Dressing
1/2 small bottle Lea & Perins
1 shot glass of Louisiana Hot sauce
1 beer

mix it all up drop the steaks in for a 8 hr soak rinse pat dry and grill No seasoning needed.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

Flanks steak/hanger steak w/ chimchurri marinade. Cook the steaks to temperature you want and then spoon more of the chimchurri over it.

If you don't know what chimchurri is, it is an Sauce that is made in Argentina mostly for beef.

~1cup Parsely
4-6 cloves of Garlic
2-3 tablespoons of Oregano
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1-2 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
Salt/Pepper to taste

You can add in crush red peppers or cayenne if you want to add some heat to it. I prefer the pesto like flavor without the spicy heat to it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

Another thing I do is a filipino style marinade and then throw it on the grill.

1.5 cups soy sauce
hand full of crush cloves of garlic
1 large onion roughly chopped
2 tablespoons black pepper
1-2 tablespoons sesame oil (can use any oil really)
Juice of 2-3 lemons. (normally you use 6-8 kalamansi, but they are hard to find in the U.S.)
*optionall 1/2 can of brown soda (coke, dr. pepper, pepsi)
After I grill it, I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds but that isn't needed.

This will give you a sweet, salty, base flavor with notes of acid to really give it a zing. I use whatever cut of meat is on sale when I use this marinade.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Evoo and Todds Dirt enough said!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Braised beef shanks... a winner every time.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154840

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make up some of this...

Beef Rib Marinade
1 lime, juiced and half rind julienned
1/4 cup Coconut Secret coconut palm syrup
4 tablespoons Red Boat Fish Sauce
1/8 cup Victorino coconut white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Red Boat black pepper, ground
1/2 pear, diced
4 cloves garlic
5 green onions diced
1 tablespoon ginger, crushed

All of this was prepared and combined in a blender, given a few quick pulses to combine and mash things up a bit. This was then poured over the beef. I was able to get some really good beef chuck ribs, which the butcher cut into thirds for me. These were then butterflied and given some quick work with the tenderizing mallet.

Marinate some flank or hanger steaks overnight. Then grill/char over very high heat, but across grain. Serve as tacos, or just strips of meat, it is delicious. Kimchi and pickled carrots, small flour tortillas, or over rice

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Robert Yuras
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Sounds like you need a French cookbook sir...Don't mess with the meat, start working on SAUCES!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi-glace

Demi-Glace is where its at. You can work for YEARS changing and perfecting demi-glace sauces. Once you learn to make it, you can reduce them down into super condensed pastes. Then when you grill a steak, just saute some mushrooms/onions, add a tbl of demi-glace base, degalze with brandy or red wine and have some of the best steak sauce ever.
Robert Yuras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe throw 'em a curve and give 'em a pig instead of a cow?
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Picanna with chimmichurri.:wink. When your local meat supplier has a sale on Sirloins,ask them for the caps. They usually discount them heavily..
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Yuras View Post
Sounds like you need a French cookbook sir...Don't mess with the meat, start working on SAUCES!!

Demi-Glace is where its at. You can work for YEARS changing and perfecting demi-glace sauces. Once you learn to make it, you can reduce them down into super condensed pastes. Then when you grill a steak, just saute some mushrooms/onions, add a tbl of demi-glace base, degalze with brandy or red wine and have some of the best steak sauce ever.
I'm with Robert on this one. Sauce is the Boss. Demi Glace is the key to a whole new highway. Get yourself a mess of veal bones and get to roasting. My freezer is never without it. Search Cabernet Reduction.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Those are some awesome sounding marinades so far! I tried the Bourbon steak recipe this weekend that I found and it was good, but made the steaks pretty dern sweet instead of providing a whole lot of bourbon flavor.

Does alcohol tenderize meat like acidic ingredients do? Makes me wonder. It was half bourbon and half water base with a lot of brown sugar and spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Yuras View Post

I have never made it but I have certainly heard of it and read about it online. Seems like a lot of work to make, but it would be a fun project. Finding veal bones is probably the problem, but beef bones are available all day long at Publix down the road from me.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Braised beef shanks... a winner every time.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154840
besides lamb one of the best
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote