Hello from Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitelightnin92

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Ryan. I'm from Utah born and raised. Moved once when I was in 8th grade, and I don't really call it a move because we moved 1/2 mile up the road. I've always loved to grill and bbq, and am always looking for my next big project.

I graduated from college this past spring and my wife got me a Weber Gas Grill for a present. I learned how to set it up as a makeshift smoker and was able to get some great results. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a smoker when I stumbled onto this website. I have since built an UDS and am in the process of learning how to use it. I love cooking, and I especially love cooking outdoors.

Excellent! Welcome! Would live to see pics of your conversion!

The setup wasn't really that complicated. I would put an aluminum pan filled with water under one side of the grill. This would act as a heat shield and add moisture to the air. The other side I would wrap wood chunks in foil and get them as close to the flame as I could. On my Weber I would have to turn one burner on as low as it would go and I could get it to stay right at 225. It worked really well, I just had a hard time doing bigger cooks, and I was never satisfied with the amount of smoke. The lowest setting never seemed enough to get the wood to smolder. It would either burn too fast or not at all. I tried cast iron smoking box, I tried putting my wood on top of charcoal. I was never able to get good consistent smoke, plus having to fill the the water pan every 2-3 hours got old.

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Welcome! I just joined last week and am up in Heber. Gonna make some ribs today!

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell

Welcome from Indiana!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back