MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rib Rack Angle

I'm curious about the use of rib racks. I've had a couple, but am far from an expert. Is it "better" to have the ribs sit at a 45°-60° angle rather than perpendigular to the grate? If so, why? Which angle would you recommend? I asked about racks in the comp forum, and was told one thing to be careful of is the racks taking off rub. Does one or the other configuration help reduce that? How much space would you recommend between the racks? Does any of this matter between spare and back ribs? I guess what I'm getting at is, if I was going to build the "perfect" rib rack, how should it be designed from a geometric standpoint?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I'm curious about the use of rib racks. I've had a couple, but am far from an expert. Is it "better" to have the ribs sit at a 45°-60° angle rather than perpendigular to the grate? If so, why? Which angle would you recommend? I asked about racks in the comp forum, and was told one thing to be careful of is the racks taking off rub. Does one or the other configuration help reduce that? How much space would you recommend between the racks? Does any of this matter between spare and back ribs? I guess what I'm getting at is, if I was going to build the "perfect" rib rack, how should it be designed from a geometric standpoint?

dmp
I'm interested in what folks have to say. I have not used rib racks because I haven't found any that seem to be long enough so that the racks won't flop around. Does the rub run off with juices/rendered fat when using a rack? If you build one, we wanna see it!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

IMHO I have used several types, and have never been able to taste the difference in the final result.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Does the rub run off with juices/rendered fat when using a rack? If you build one, we wanna see it!
The complaint I heard was the rub coming off from contact with the rack when moving the ribs around. Hence why there should be space, and why I think perpendicular may be better for that purpose, or 60° may be better than 45°.

dmp

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Dave Klose racks I use are very roomy and are slightly angled, which comes in handy when spraying, and reduces the amount of head room I need in my BDS's. To avoid scraping off rub, I start off with the thick side up, sometimes after they shrink up a bit I turn in the racks and sometimes not.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks. If you ever feel so inclined, I'd love to know the dimensions. Overall length and height, angle of the racks, and space between them. Definitely doesn't look like 45°.

dmp

Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
thirdeye

All the stats and the logic behind the design are on page 23 of the Klose catalog. Looks to be a 20° angle and the size is 11 X 9-1/2 X 5. There is a typo on the description, the diameter is 3/16" stainless rod, not 3/32".

I got mine when they first came out for $25. They are now $40 which is still a good deal. I do hobby welding and I can't make them myself for that.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Sizzl
Got Wood.

When I used rib racks, I had to keep flipping them 180 because the top would cook faster. Now i don't use rib racks. I just stack them on top of one another and let their juices marry while using the hot and fast method...

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Rack ! Just wanted to say it !!!
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanx for the info and the pointer. FWIW, what he calls a 20° to the side is what I would call a 70° angle, from the grate. It's all perspective. I'm wondering though if 11" isn't too short. I've had slabs that are 20" pre-cooked, and I'd want to keep them all seperate.

dmp

Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Bludawg

The angle of the dangle is proportionate to the heat of the meat.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Would one need to adjust if upgraded to the new fangled dangle angle?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Thanx for the info and the pointer. FWIW, what he calls a 20° to the side is what I would call a 70° angle, from the grate. It's all perspective. I'm wondering though if 11" isn't too short. I've had slabs that are 20" pre-cooked, and I'd want to keep them all seperate.

dmp
Here is a different perspective.... the grate on this cooker is 18" diameter, so these ribs are in the 16" to 18" range.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Here is a different perspective.... the grate on this cooker is 18" diameter, so these ribs are in the 16" to 18" range.
So two 18" slabs of ribs next to each other in an 11" rack. What keeps the 3" on either sidew from flopping over on the next slab? I've had it happen. Put differently, I've I'm not working on a 18" BGE/WSM, etc, is there any reason why I wouldn't want a rib rack to be 20" instead of 11", as long as it was "short" enough for the ribs to catch it?

dmp