A question for the steak sous viders here

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When do you rest the steaks?
I usually rest between the bath and the grill, then again after the grill.
What sayeth the Brethren?

Hmmm... So you're one of those steak boilers that Moose mentioned in his flippity-flip post...

"The technique discussed in this thread is not meant to be compared to any other methods, such as boiling, broiling, baking, microwaving, air-frying, lasering, griddling, roasting, spinning, smoking, hanging, or frying, all of which may or may not have their own merits." :behindsofa:

I don't rest at all. No need to after the bath as the whole thing is the same temp throughout. After the sear you could rest, but i find it does more to mess up the crust on the bottom side (even when rested on a rack) than it does to improve temp consistency.

Something bigger like a tri tip gets rested after the sear for 10 minutes.

I don't rest, just sear.

xJvUigX.jpg

I don’t actively rest it at either point but typically in practice it gets a short rest coming out of the SV while I get it dried off, re-seasoned, realize the grill isn’t quite hot enough yet, etc. I don’t rest it after the sear

I rest between bath and sear. Probably 5-10 mins just so it doesn’t start cooking the steak past where I just cooked it to in the bath.

I rest between bath and sear. Probably 5-10 mins just so it doesn’t start cooking the steak past where I just cooked it to in the bath.

This is what I do. My SV temp is what I want my finished internal temp to be. In order to get the sear I want, the meat would likely rise above that temperature. A short rest gives it time to bleed off some heat so that when I sear it and it rises again, it finishes roughly at my set point.

I don't rest at all. No need to after the bath as the whole thing is the same temp throughout. ...
This. The purpose of the rest is to let the internal temperatures equalize/between the hot outer and the cooler center. When everything is the same temperature, no equalization is necessary.

This is an interesting idea. I would not call this a "rest" though. It is a cool-down period. A bit dicey because I wouldn't want the center to actually be cool. Some measurements and note taking might find the ideal center temperature before the sear where the sear is enough to restore the temperature but not take it above the sous vide temp. I may experiment with this.

Back