• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

***Welcome to the OFFICIAL Throwdown Lounge! Kick Back and Enjoy General Throwdown Banter, Ask Questions, Share Ideas & Suggestions!***

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to launch this for a while now, as it creates a space for us to interact and discuss off topic content away from Throwdown entry threads.

Anything Throwdown-related that is constructive is welcome. In particular, this is the perfect place to throw your suggestions in the hat for upcoming monthly special Throwdowns.

So let’s get the party started! What would you like to talk about?

Last edited:
Can I kick it off? Do I need any special camera equipment to take outstanding photos like most of you guys do or are there any tricks you'd care to share?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? And could that wood be used to cook a chuck for a throwdown?

Can I kick it off? Do I need any special camera equipment to take outstanding photos like most of you guys do or are there any tricks you'd care to share?
I just use my cellphone camera. Google Pixel 3aXL. Then I crop the picture so the main item has filled the frame, straighten out if needed, etc. To get the blurred backgrounds I use the Portrait mode on the camera, have to make sure the main image is far enough away from the background so the Goggle image processing can work its magic.

I just use my cellphone camera. Google Pixel 3aXL. Then I crop the picture so the main item has filled the frame, straighten out if needed, etc. To get the blurred backgrounds I use the Portrait mode on the camera, have to make sure the main image is far enough away from the background so the Goggle image processing can work its magic.

good tip, I have same phone and should start looking to use portrait mode. When I first started doing throwdowns my camera phone was really ****ty and showed, but I still entered

On top of having better Camera, I've learned few tricks from others and pay more attention to plating, angles, etc. I still put my photo skills well behind some of the people here, but I can generally be in the ball park of acceptable photos

You mean "Show us Your Wurst? Is this a suggestion, or are you planning to keep waiting around for it? :wink:

So let's get a little focused here and see what we can come up with for contenders for the May Special Throwdown. I'd like to have it narrowed down to 3-4 categories for us to vote on, so put some thought to it. If we get more than 4 formal suggestions, Matt and I will pick the ones we think are the best fit for the vote. Then we'll put it to to a vote on Monday, April 19th.

As least that's the idea. :mrgreen:

Here's how we typically decide these:

Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.
Don't repeat a category we've already done in the last 12 months.
Look to past monthly special Throwdowns for ideas or variations on popular favorites.
Come up with something completely different!

As for ideas for TD's, I have two:
1) MSU- don't follow a recipe, make it up as you go along and see what you come up with.
2) Cook something that you have never cooked before or were intimidated by. We all like to learn new things, right?
3) Bonus category- Since May is Mother's Day month, cook your mom's favorite dish, or your wife's, in their honor.

Great idea Richard! I hope to learn a lot. Y'know I love photography. I have a nice mirrorless camera. I have a good phone camera and a gimble even. Can't take a good TD shot to save myself. Could be that wine is involved. I need to work on that, but anyway a great place to ask here and shoot the chit for TD ideas.

Well done.

Bill

As for ideas for TD's, I have two:
1) MSU- don't follow a recipe, make it up as you go along and see what you come up with.
2) Cook something that you have never cooked before or were intimidated by. We all like to learn new things, right?
3) Bonus category- Since May is Mother's Day month, cook your mom's favorite dish, or your wife's, in their honor.

All good ones, Ron!

We've sort of done an MSU type Throwdown like this in the past with the "Four Ingredient Challenge" Throwdown, but that was before MSU became widely known:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219049

We haven't done it since 2015, so perhaps a new and improved version:

"The MSU Four Ingredient Challenge" is in order! This one is definitely going on the list. :thumb:

Last edited:
I’ve not entered nor voted a TD in quite a while. I’ll readily confess that I’m not really up on the TD culture. I’ve always thought it would be interesting if a Brethren could win once (maybe twice) per calendar year, then those Brethren would cook against each other 12th month for Grand Smoke.

Positive: I think more Brethren would enter more often, many different Brethren winners and more Brethren voting regularly
Negative: some Brethren will not like this at all and will be pissed.

As said above, I’ve no desire to enter today nor in the future, but a bunch of different winners with a Grand Smoke finale sounds interesting. To me, anyway.

I’ve not entered nor voted a TD in quite a while. I’ll readily confess that I’m not really up on the TD culture. I’ve always thought it would be interesting if a Brethren could win once (maybe twice) per calendar year, then those Brethren would cook against each other 12th month for Grand Smoke.

Positive: I think more Brethren would enter more often, many different Brethren winners and more Brethren voting regularly
Negative: some Brethren will not like this at all and will be pissed.

As said above, I’ve no desire to enter today nor in the future, but a bunch of different winners with a Grand Smoke finale sounds interesting. To me, anyway.

[FONT=&quot]Adams, nice to see you here, and thanks for chiming in! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As to your suggestion, we sort of had something like that several years ago, but we found that placing restrictions and narrowing it down to a single Throwdown "Master" started to take the fun out of it for a lot of people. Throwdown participation also dropped considerably as well. While we thought it a good idea, in reality, it didn’t turn out as we had hoped. My experience here after doing this for almost 10 years is that the less restrictions we place on who can enter Throwdowns, the more participation we seem to get.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I first started participating in the Throwdowns, there was certainly a group of established regulars, just like there are today, as with any subforum here. I felt a little out of place at first, but the great thing is that I felt welcome immediately and began to enjoy the camaraderie that Brethren offer so generously. One of the great things about this forum is that members here are among the most helpful and friendly I’ve found. The Throwdowns are no different, and all are welcome.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm not sure why you no longer vote or enter Throwdowns, but I do hope you'll stick around a while…[/FONT]

1. Cheeks/Tongues/Tail-Show us how you prepare unusual cuts
2. Shellfish
3. Use your favorite gadget / accessory (most of us have add ons, rotisserie,griddle plate etc)
4. 5 ingredient or less (including seasonings) or Keep it simple stupid
5. Mediterranean

Last edited:
I’ve never entered a TD before and I haven’t been around long to know if it’s been done before, but my idea was for an MSU TD also. But my idea is that you would have to make up an entirely new dish that you’ve never seen before. You could take an existing dish and change the ingredients, or combine different dishes into one, but the end result would have to be completely original.

If we do it for May we could call it the May-ke Stuff Up challenge.

Back