MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
SmokeMeTender
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pork Slices - Turn-in

We have noticed alot of turn-in boxes with sliced pork. Can anyone tell us how you are slicing? Are you using a seperate pork loin or butt just to slice? Pictures would be great!

Everything looks so good.

Thanks
SmokeMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

i have been seeing this as well and while I know it is perfectly legal to slice pork for turn in, I know it is illegal to butcher the pork before cooking it. A pork shoulder, butt or picnic is too muscularly confusing to result in a perfect slicing peice like some people turn in. You can obviously see how some people are butchering their meat before cooking it due to the rub being around the entire slice of cut meat as well as a smoke ring around the entire perimeter of these newly popular slices. Why isn't this rule enforced more? I saw some in Wildwood and brought it to the attention of some people and they 'explained' to me how the team cut the meat after they cooked it, I don't buy all of it. Can any light be shed on this?

Here is the direct rule:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork
shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
i have been seeing this as well and while I know it is perfectly legal to slice pork for turn in, I know it is illegal to butcher the pork before cooking it. A pork shoulder, butt or picnic is too muscularly confusing to result in a perfect slicing peice like some people turn in. You can obviously see how some people are butchering their meat before cooking it due to the rub being around the entire slice of cut meat as well as a smoke ring around the entire perimeter of these newly popular slices. Why isn't this rule enforced more? I saw some in Wildwood and brought it to the attention of some people and they 'explained' to me how the team cut the meat after they cooked it, I don't buy all of it. Can any light be shed on this?

Here is the direct rule:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork
shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.
there is a way to trim a butt in such a manner that will alow for maximum bark for slices, but still keep the butt in one piece. Also, the butt for slicing will be too under-cooked for pulled.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Podge is right, creative knife skills can confuse some. Temps. for sliced is lower than pulled. Cooking methods enter that thought when using the same piece of product. Here in the midwest they like sliced pieces in the box. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

It's legal, we learned the slicing technique from taking a BBQ class ... taught be a board member.

It's commonly referred to as the money muscle, it's the muscle opposite the bone end of the butt. It's fairly simple to part the butt along this fat line so about 3/4 of this entire muscle is exposed to rub and air as it smokes. As Podge mentions, the butt that is getting used for the sliced portion of the turn in is not getting cooked to 195-200 internal, closer to 180, thus sliceable. And this muscle is still very tender to the bite even at that temp.

But here's my question. After I get the money muscle to my desired temp, can I cut it away from the rest of the pork butt and put the pork butt back in to get the rest of it to pull temp? Technically, pork is cooked at 160. I've been leaving my slicer butt whole after cooking it becuase I don't know the rules and don't want to take any chances of it drying out but man it would be nice to be able to get all the butts to pull temp so when they are eaten later they have that great texture.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

There are a few ways to get good slices from a pork but. One method, is to partially separate a muscle or muscle group from the roast, leaving it partially attached. Since most people like to slice at a lower internal temp than they pull from, a separate butt is generally used for this purpose.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
mds2
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
But here's my question. After I get the money muscle to my desired temp, can I cut it away from the rest of the pork butt and put the pork butt back in to get the rest of it to pull temp? .
I dont think so. Once you part it in any way you can not return one part of it to the cooker, but I could be wrong.

Brinkmann Electric Bullet
Weber Kettle
Homemade Cabinet Smoker
Large Homemade Offset
Large Stumps Clone
mds2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
SmokeMeTender
Knows what a fatty is.

If there is such a way to slice the pork, can you please tell me how? Are you using one to slice and another to pull?
SmokeMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

yes. 1 to slice and 1 to pull

Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Everything you could ask has already been asked in this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=money+muscle

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

But here's my question. After I get the money muscle to my desired temp, can I cut it away from the rest of the pork butt and put the pork butt back in to get the rest of it to pull temp? Technically, pork is cooked at 160. I've been leaving my slicer butt whole after cooking it becuase I don't know the rules and don't want to take any chances of it drying out but man it would be nice to be able to get all the butts to pull temp so when they are eaten later they have that great texture.
There was a thread a few weeks ago going over just this topic. I interpret that being a BBQ competition, and in competition, cooked pork for pulled is in the neighborhood of anywhere from 190-205, and sliced is lower than that. If a person was to separate the butt to get the money muscle off, and throw the rest of the butt in the cooker for pulled, that butt is not cooked all the way, and therefore parted before it's cooked. I believe that in my interpretation, this method is illegal.

(160 for techical, but since we're cooking for something other than food safety, i've rulled this temp. out)
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
There was a lengthy thread on this very topic a few weeks ago.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I've been thinking about this too, because there's not too much sliced down my way. To the one's who have experience in the area, is it necessary to put sliced in the box to be competitive at the Royal?
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Why thank you, that thread took place while I was offline. I didn't see it, I'll catch up on it tonight!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

It has to be cooked whole and connected to the butt. Once you've cut the part away that you plan to slice for turn ins, that butt can not be returned to cook longer for competition use.......take it home and finish it in the oven..... :)

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote