• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Smokie185

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
It's been kinda cold and wet here so the wife said something about chicken tortilla soup. I got online and found this as a starting point.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/chicken-tortilla-soup/

Of course I made some modifications.

First, sous vide chicken breasts seasoned with Q-Salt. (140 for 2.5 hours) cool and shred.

xhpjWHAl.jpg

Next the veggies. Two onions and 3 jalapenos sauteed in a stick of butter until a bit caramelized. The I added some frozen tomatoes from last summer (you can freeze them whole).

pIYeDTPl.jpg

Cook that for a while and begin adding the seasonings. I generally double what the recipe calls for. For the chili powder, I used Mild Bills Dark Chili Powder (the chili powder you use makes a BIG difference). Then to smooth it out a bit I hit it with the stick blender.

ZnV03htl.jpg

Sometime during the process, fry the tortilla strips.

3rIS8PWl.jpg

Then add the chicken to the mix.

OgNZwlKl.jpg

Finally a nice hot mug of comforting soup.

8YcxqVnl.jpg

By the way, I really like the fried tortilla strips in case you can't tell.

The wife said this was the best tortilla soup she ever had.

That’s the same recipe I use. I’ve tried a bunch of them and both my wife and I agree that it’s the best we’ve found.

Great looking bowl of soup!

That’s the same recipe I use. I’ve tried a bunch of them and both my wife and I agree that it’s the best we’ve found.

Great looking bowl of soup!

As I mentioned, I use that same recipe and decided to make some of my own today. You mentioned doing some modifications to the recipe, here’s one you might want to avoid. :oops:

Your pulled chicken looks fantastic. I really struggle to get some that I’m happy with.

By coincidence, I had recently made a recipe where I braised some breasts so decided to try doing something similar with the onion, garlic and some of the broth. When I was done, I’d dump the liquid in the soup and add some fresher onion and additional broth as needed.

Unfortunately, the time got a little away from me.

2022012319224839-1146996298790620077-IMG_6330-L.jpg

I thought about slicing what was left of the chicken thin and throwing it on the Rectec to see if I could dehydrate it as a dog treat since it was well on it’s way already but didn’t think even the dogs deserved it.

As I mentioned, I use that same recipe and decided to make some of my own today. You mentioned doing some modifications to the recipe, here’s one you might want to avoid. :oops:

Your pulled chicken looks fantastic. I really struggle to get some that I’m happy with.

By coincidence, I had recently made a recipe where I braised some breasts so decided to try doing something similar with the onion, garlic and some of the broth. When I was done, I’d dump the liquid in the soup and add some fresher onion and additional broth as needed.

Unfortunately, the time got a little away from me.

I thought about slicing what was left of the chicken thin and throwing it on the Rectec to see if I could dehydrate it as a dog treat since it was well on it’s way already but didn’t think even the dogs deserved it.

Serve it anyway and call it blackened.

As far as the chicken, I did it sous vide for 2.5 hours at 140. Always turns out great.

Last edited:
Serve it anyway and call it blackened.

As far as the chicken, I did it sous vide for 1.5 hours at 140. Always turns out great.

I’ve been meaning to try that but based on what yours looked like I will definitely go that route next time

Made this today. Kay and I really liked it. I also sous vide the chicken but you said 2.5hrs above. Will definitely make it again

Back