Too sick to cook

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Picked up an intestinal bug the other day that had me either sitting on the stool or kneeling in front of it most the night. Had planned on cooking 60#'s of beef today but I'm thinking I should probably wait until after I've had a solid movement if you know what I mean. My question is, when one has suffered from flu like symptons, how long should one wait before continuing with food preparation?

That Sux Neil.
Sorry to hear that.

Good question....I would say when you get to feeling better
and always wash your hands.
Food should be fine as long as you do that.

If it's a virus it will pass and I know you want it over with fast.

I wish you well buddy.

I do feel better but am still a bit weak. Just mowed the lawn in 80* heat and feel like I was in the ring for 49 seconds with Tommy Zbikowski! As far as washing hands go, I'm a fanatick about that. Was thinking about wearing one of those cotton filter masks you see people with breathing problems wear in cold weather.

Neil, I do not know of any guidlines that concern this matter. Especially since you don't know what you contracted. If you feel ill, you're ill, right?
At this point, all I can really say, is let your conscience be your guide.

Neil said:
Picked up an intestinal bug the other day that had me either sitting on the stool or kneeling in front of it most the night. Had planned on cooking 60#'s of beef today but I'm thinking I should probably wait until after I've had a solid movement if you know what I mean. My question is, when one has suffered from flu like symptons, how long should one wait before continuing with food preparation?

I had some of that bug a few weeks ago...........I feel your pain brother, get well soon!

Glad your feeling better Neil,i wonder if it could of be something you ate instead of a virus.I think it would be safe to cook if you use the mask and gloves.

Finally had a solid movement this morning so after church I prepped the meat by loading it with slivers of garlic then seared the roasts on all sides in a skillet with olive oil and butter. From there they went into the roaster ovens while I diced up and sautee'd 9#'s of onions. After the onions were added I covered the roasts half way with chianti and set the temp at 250*. Removed the roasts when they hit 145 wrapped and foil and let set for two hours then into a cooler and covered with ice. Next they will go into the freezer until two days before the party when I will slice them super thin and reintroduce the meat to the juices. Next weekend I'll be smoking the 70#'s of pork butt. Must have washed my hands 100 times during the process.

Back