• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frozen vs. Fresh Meat

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Occasionally I see a good price on meat and wifey and I have a deep freeze. I'm curious about what the rest of you think.

Assume that safe handling practice occurs with both frozen and fresh meat.

What are your thoughts on buying meat the day of (or day before) you smoke comparte to buying it when on sale.

I strongly prefer buying it fresh, but wifey says it's all in my head.

What do you think?

Last edited:
It's not in your head at all. I would simply limit the quatity and variety of what you decide to freeze. I don't like freezing fish or beef (except ground) in particuliar. I will not freeze steaks and have only occassionally froze brisket.

I thought I read here this past year that freezing meat actually breaks down the meat so it is actually more tender when u cook it.

A couple of our more accomplished competitive members have posted that they prefer not to use frozen meats for competitions. I don't remember why, perhaps a search of the comp forum would give you some straight poop on that.

I will not buy frozen meat as it is so difficult to tell what your getting. The last frozen spares I bought were not edible at all.

I don't mind using frozen meats if I find a good deal, but thawing big cuts is a hassle so 85+% of what I smoke is fresh.

If it's been frozen quickly the ice (water) crystals stay small.

If you ever see the frosty coating on it avoid as it has the temp has raised slightly and then it's been rechilled thus the crystals expand and break down the flesh of the meat.

.....you get the same problem with ice cream!!!!!!!

Fresh is always better but frozen isn't that bad. As long as it's been previously frozen and stayed that way, I can't tell a huge difference in the tastes of the meat.

Maybe I should get a couple of Briskets to try that out on. Get one that's been frozen and keep it in the freezer for a couple months and then get one from the butcher the day of or before I smoke and throw'em both on and try it out for a taste test......

HHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!! Me thinks the wife and kid might be eatting alot of Brisket soon..

I prefer fresh, but when I see brisket for under $1 a lb. I am obligated to freeze a couple for future use. Over the years the freezer in the garage has paid for it several times over.

Back