• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri tip cooking

chargrill2369

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi. I want to try cooking a tri tip roast in my smoker
In terms of temperature do you bring it up to the same temperature as a briske? I ask because where I bought it the butcher referred to it as a California brisket. He said it is more tender.

I cook tri tips in my vertical charcoal smoker often. Cook them just as you would on a BBQ. I usually bring mine up to 135 - 140* then let 'em rest maybe 10 mins.

Definitely do not bring it up to the same temp as a brisket! It'll be hard as a rock. As Viticulture said, 135-40 should be your target.

I smoke them til about 120-125, then give it a good sear on a hot grill to bring it to mid rare. You can probably go to medium. Never even thought about trying to cook it like a brisket. Perhaps others have.

California Brisket??!!! LOL

Please don't cook it like a brisket. Rather, cook it like a steak. Bring it to 125-145 dead center depending on how you like your steak. The ends are tapered so they will be more done than the center. So if you like it medium...but your guests like it well done...cook the center to medium.

More important than how you cook it, is how you cut it. Note the grain...cut cross grain. Sometimes the grain curves...sometimes it doesn't.

I’ve cooked many many tri-tips, smoked to 135°, seared and reverse seared and always happy with the finished product. I’ve smoked it like brisket and had a satisfying result too. Harry Soo has a video on cooking tri-tip you could check it out as well as a few posts on the forum too for tips

I bring them up to about 115 and sear to 125 and rest to about 130. Cut thin across the grain. As already noted, some change grain directions more so than others. It is our family’s preferred steak (even over fillet or ribeye)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

a nice dark rub, smoker going @250 diluted acv spritz a couple times until i.t. 130. Then I rest in a cooler. Perfect every time

Thanks those are good tips... I will cook it more like a steak or a roast. I had no idea they were tender like that.

Think of it as an odd shaped prime rib roast, and cook accordingly. The most evenly cooked PRR is cooked at a very low temp to promote even pink from edge to edge. Cooking at higher temps will give you the donut effect where there is a large ring of brown on the outside of the roast with a small area of pink in the middle (you want to avoid this). Cook at no higher than 250F till it is 10F-15F below target temp, remove and rest for 10-15 min to stop carryover cooking, then sear on blazing hot fire to finish the crust. Seasoning is up to you, SPOG is all that is needed though. Dry Brining is an option too, but not necessary at all. Some people choose to skip the sear at end and cook to just below target temp then rest. There will always be a little carryover cooking, so keep that in mind when deciding what temp to cook the meat to.

I see a lot of people on Facebook boasting about cooking a Tri Tip like a Brisket to 202 - 205 internal. Yes you can do that, just like you can cook a Ribeye or a NY Strip to 200 plus, but you are going to ruin a beautiful, tender piece of meat. As everyone else has already commented, cook it to no more than medium. I like mid-rare done on a reverse sear.

Also pay careful attention to the direction of the grain because it changes about midway through the roast. It will always be more tender sliced against the grain, and a lot of first timers mess this up. Here's a link to a picture.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608040701399599067&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Thanks that's a good photo. I will try to watch for that. Would you cut the long side in half then cut across the grain?

I personally slice the long side first then rotate and cut against the grain. Great piece of meat, I'm sure you will enjoy!

Quite a while ago, someone cooked a tri tip until it could be pulled like pulled pork. Couldn't find the thread though. IMHO, I think it was a waste of great meat but it was an experiment. I have sous vide a tri tip for several hours and then seared the heck out of it. Came out great.

Tri-tip is a great cut for big gatherings, I usually give it a good rub and get the grill smoking hot. Sear it on both sides then indirect heat around 400degF, pull it off at 120-125 in the middle and let it rest for 10min.

like mentioned you will get well and med-well on the ends, rare med-rare in the middle, and any left overs can be reheated without over cooking.

These cuts use to be cheap now they are getting a little spendy.

Back