To Weber Smokefire or not to Smokefire

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a “reservation” for the new Weber pellet grill. I’ve really was interested in a bigger charcoal grill to replace my 26 but got distracted by the possibility of set and forget smoking and grill replacement. Now wondering if this really exists. So, my question Brethren is go thru with it or bail out? Help a confused country boy out please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This will replace a 26 kettle? I have 2 cookers... my MAK and my 26 kettle. They play very nicely together. If I had to reduce my cooking arsenal down to 1 cooker it would hands down be my MAK. Being the Weber pellet grill hasn’t been tested by the masses, hard to say... but it does look promising. My suggestion would be to proceed with the pellet grill but keep the 26’er.

I agree the 26 is staying. Just wondering if I’d like a low-touch option for long smokes. And if it would be nice additional grill space for those time when the 26 isn’t big enough - I have them more often than you’d think.

I’m waiting for a few real world cooks then I’m deciding, I had the first WSC delivered in the state of Oklahoma and have never regretted it so not sure why I’m holding off on the Smoke Fire, but I are...

Sorry, no help here...

Neither does my Mak, and I think that’s one of the things that contributes it having a better smoke profile than other pellet grills I’ve owned.

Agreed, our DB is hot on the stack end and it can only be because the air path...

For convenience it's hard to beat a pellet grill IMO. Weber makes quality stuff, so I'm sure you'll find that the Smokefire will not disappoint. I say "Go for it."

I agree the 26 is staying. Just wondering if I’d like a low-touch option for long smokes. And if it would be nice additional grill space for those time when the 26 isn’t big enough - I have them more often than you’d think.

Unless you require a heavy smoke profile, pretty sure you’d LOVE a pellet smoker for the long cooks. Light/pleasant flavor profile and they are brain dead easy to operate :)

Unless you require a heavy smoke profile, pretty sure you’d LOVE a pellet smoker for the long cooks. Light/pleasant flavor profile and they are brain dead easy to operate :)

Honestly, I am a little concerned about the smoke profile. When I smoke its either on an offest or a WSM. I'm more than happy with either, but I do wonder about a PG.

I'd ask for opinions but we all know the stickburner story and you can smoke as much or as little as you wish on the WSM so I don't know how to compare it with a PG... It's a nice problem to have, though...

Honestly, I am a little concerned about the smoke profile. When I smoke its either on an offest or a WSM. I'm more than happy with either, but I do wonder about a PG.

I'd ask for opinions but we all know the stickburner story and you can smoke as much or as little as you wish on the WSM so I don't know how to compare it with a PG... It's a nice problem to have, though...

Obviously taste is highly subjective. That said, after having cooked on WSM’s, ceramic kamados, stick burners, kettles... and a few others, I have found that the food that comes from my MAK is more consistent and definitely receives more compliments (which includes some brutally honest family and friends). For most people, the food from a pellet grill is very pleasant and enjoyable. I have now seen a fair number of the brethren, some long time stick burners, but their first pellet muncher. With rare exception, they are not disappointed :)

A pellet grill and a 26 are a great combo Kevin, I'd get the PG if you are not concerned about a V-1 cooker

I'm very much interested in the Smokefire, and I've never really been interested in pellet smokers before. As you can see from my sig, I'm a Weber fanboy.

In the coming years I may go back to a 22" and add the 36" Smokefire for overnight and larger cooks (or for the occasional 2-4 rib rack cooks). My WSM's have pretty much become dedicated chicken and butt cookers at this point.

As an aside, I haven't loved my 26" the way I loved the 22" it replaced this year. I just don't need that much real-estate 95% of the time and it takes way too much coal to get the same level of performance - even when banking.

Don't kill me but look into the masterbuilt 560. I have a 26 kettle with IQ 110 also. Haven't used it since I got the 560.

Last edited:
I've sat on the sidelines quietly judging pellet cookers while also being secretly jealous for quite some time. I never really considered a pellet grill until weber announced the smokefire. I've been a weber fan for a long long time so it really piqued my interest, I was half a day away from pulling the trigger to get on the the pre-order list before I came across a Traeger Timberline 850 on craigslist and the seller accepted my very low offer.
So far I have loved it. It is very a very handsome grill (I call it middle-class chic) and I have turned out some very good food on it in the few weeks I have owned it. The only downside is having to take the guts out fairly regularly to vacuum it out, and I can tell the heat deflector is going to be difficult to keep as clean as I'd like. You also have to ignore all the trolls online that tell you your pellet grill isn't a smoker, and call it a driveway oven. Screw those guys.
Not sure if any of this helps, but it sounds like you are in a similar boat I am in, so I thought I would share my recent experience. I can't wait to get some real world reviews on the smokefire!

I've sat on the sidelines quietly judging pellet cookers while also being secretly jealous for quite some time. I never really considered a pellet grill until weber announced the smokefire. I've been a weber fan for a long long time so it really piqued my interest, I was half a day away from pulling the trigger to get on the the pre-order list before I came across a Traeger Timberline 850 on craigslist and the seller accepted my very low offer.
So far I have loved it. It is very a very handsome grill (I call it middle-class chic) and I have turned out some very good food on it in the few weeks I have owned it. The only downside is having to take the guts out fairly regularly to vacuum it out, and I can tell the heat deflector is going to be difficult to keep as clean as I'd like. You also have to ignore all the trolls online that tell you your pellet grill isn't a smoker, and call it a driveway oven. Screw those guys.
Not sure if any of this helps, but it sounds like you are in a similar boat I am in, so I thought I would share my recent experience. I can't wait to get some real world reviews on the smokefire!

Well said!! And much like you, I could not believe how much I immediately loved pellet cooked food when I first decided to give it a shot. My pellet muncher is by far and away my most used cooker. :)

Back