BackWoods Smoker

wksisnlaw

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Would like to know if anybody out there knows how to get a backwoods up to 300 degrees??? Trying to smoke some crispy chicken wings and they always come out rubbery or tough. "Need Some Help" :confused:

Which model Backwoods? I can get my Party to 300 degrees and higher by using foil balls in the water pan instead of water.

I have the party g2, i have tried it with and without water, with the water pan removed - the diverter still in place and again with the diverter removed and empty water pan in place. Foil Balls ???? can you enlighten me a little more on this subject. and wow thanx for the quick response.

I have the party g2 as well. You should have no problem getting it up there with no water. What are you using for fuel? Lump runs hotter. Also, what are your startup procedures? If I'm running a hotter cook I start out with a hotter fire.

I have the party g2, i have tried it with and without water, with the water pan removed - the diverter still in place and again with the diverter removed and empty water pan in place. Foil Balls ???? can you enlighten me a little more on this subject. and wow thanx for the quick response.

The G2 is a little bigger than my regular Party, but it should be able to get to 300.

I keep the diverter and water pan in place. In the water pan I place loosely crumpled balls of heavy duty foil (enough to fill the pan without compressing the balls) and then cover the pan with three or four layers of heavy duty foil. The balls of foil create air pockets that act as a bit of a heat sink but don't hold the temp down like a pan of water will.

When I am going to cook at 300 or higher I will fill my charcoal basket with lump and light one corner with a couple of Weber starter cubes. I keep the firebox door open until I have a decent sized fire going before shutting it and keep the vents and exhaust open until the temp hit around 275. Then I close down the vents as the temp gets closer to my target.

I'm running a fat boy and a home build competitor clone. I add lime half a gallon water at around 200, all vents wide open, let it climb to around 320, then tune vents according to if I want to climb to 350 or stay 300-320 then add rest of water

Usually do 10lb or so kingsford, a full chimney, and 4 large or so 6 inch pieces of oak...takes about 1.5 hrs for thin blue smoke to start roaring

I don't have a BW but my insulated cabinet smoker will get to over 400 with enough lit charcoal in the beginning, no water and vents and intakes wfo.

I've got a Chubby and have no problem getting over 300 with the water pan empty and heat diverter in. I use lump.

I have a Party unit, and I have no problem getting the temps up to 375 or higher if I start with a full chimney of lit charcoal added to the fire pan and leave the chimney and side vents wide open for a bit. I keep the water pan filled with a mix of lava rock and foil balls, covered with a triple layer of heavy duty foil.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried lump charcoal - royal oak, big green egg, and cowboy because I do understand that it burns hotter. But I am having trouble with all of them falling through the grate. More charcoal in my ash pan than "ash"! Any suggestions for that problem as well???? Thanks in advance... Backwoods Party G2

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried lump charcoal - royal oak, big green egg, and cowboy because I do understand that it burns hotter. But I am having trouble with all of them falling through the grate. More charcoal in my ash pan than "ash"! Any suggestions for that problem as well???? Thanks in advance... Backwoods Party G2

When I fill my basket (leaving the ash tray in) I will pack in as much lump as possible by moving pieces around and filling the gaps. When that's done I'll remove the ash pan and dump that on top. The rest of the lump will prevent it from falling through.

When I fill my basket (leaving the ash tray in) I will pack in as much lump as possible by moving pieces around and filling the gaps. When that's done I'll remove the ash pan and dump that on top. The rest of the lump will prevent it from falling through.

Simple and brilliant:thumb:

As others have said, no water. If it has water in the pan, you can open all vents and it won't break 295 on the tel tru, but the maverick reads 315. It will cruise there for hours upon hours though which is nice and plenty hot enough for some good yard bird.

Back