MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default Need scotch egg variations for todays lunch

Planning on scotch eggs and hot wings. Only two ways I have ever done them were bacon wrapped sausage over egg and no bacon. I keep seeing ideas for crunchy breading(crunched up doritos??). Anyone got a good recipe to add variation for the wife? oh and I just picked a bowl full of fresh Habs yesterday. I wouldn't mind dicing one up and putting it in my egg. What's the best way? Just mix the pepper pieces in with the sausage patty?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
davidparker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I hard boil the eggs first. Dust the sausage with your favorite rub. Throw them on the smoker until the sausage is done. Cut them in half. Remove the egg yokes and mix with a little Mustard Q sauce instead of mayo just like a deviled egg. Add the bbq deviled egg mix back to the shell and enjoy!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidparker View Post
I hard boil the eggs first. Dust the sausage with your favorite rub. Throw them on the smoker until the sausage is done. Cut them in half. Remove the egg yokes and mix with a little Mustard Q sauce instead of mayo just like a deviled egg. Add the bbq deviled egg mix back to the shell and enjoy!
Sounds yummy. I love deviled eggs. Today though I plan on not replacing yolks. Was really just curious how it would turn out with a crumbled tortilla chip covering on the smoker. Seems like most recipes this way plan on deep frying. I may just season and cook like I did last time. Had to inquire though. So many ways to skin a cat and I only have tried a couple

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
davidparker

You can always do half traditional and half new! Try it, thats what Q is all about! You may want to brush the sausage with an egg white to hold the crunchies on until they set. Please let us know how they turn out!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidparker View Post
You can always do half traditional and half new! Try it, thats what Q is all about! You may want to brush the sausage with an egg white to hold the crunchies on until they set. Please let us know how they turn out!
Sorry I got this a little late David. I rode down to the Dollar general store to get some barbecue sauce and forgot my phone was in my bike bag LOL. I'm going to try a basic Scotch egg that I'm going to brush with some Sweet baby Ray's honey BBQ sauce to glaze it right before I take them off. On three of them I did mix in some diced habaneros for myself LOL. I think they're going to be spicy with a touch of sweet LOL now I just got to keep them separate on the grill so I know which ones are my wife's. she would be pissed if I gave her one of those.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Yummy

Last edited by cmwr; 11-24-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Plata-O-Plomo

Name/Nickname : Martin

Nice job! Looks great. I have to admit I have never done these. I am the only one that eats eggs in the family so making a bunch of these would only make me fatter. But fat is flavor, I know. How did you keep the yolk from over cooking?I have been tossing the idea around about putting a few eggs into my next fatty. These look like a better idea and a great breakfast.

POP
YS 640s Comp Cart, UDS #1 Fat Man, UDS #2 Little Boy, Large BGE
Plata-O-Plomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plata-O-Plomo View Post
Nice job! Looks great. I have to admit I have never done these. I am the only one that eats eggs in the family so making a bunch of these would only make me fatter. But fat is flavor, I know. How did you keep the yolk from over cooking?I have been tossing the idea around about putting a few eggs into my next fatty. These look like a better idea and a great breakfast.

POP
I soft boiled the eggs. but even so I might have had them on the rack a little too long because they weren't runny anymore. This time I went more sparingly on the sausage as I made more eggs. This meant that each egg had a thinner layer of meat on it than the last time I did Scotch eggs so therefore it didn't have as much of an insulating blanket. however if I would have just remove them from the grate 20 minutes earlier they still would have been done and the yolks probably would have still been a little runny.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks great.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
davidparker

Nicely Done!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I like scotch eggs, but I only do them wrapped with sausage, seasoned with bbq rub and smoked, have never made them breaded. I have seen recipes where you dip the sausage covered egg in flour, then in egg, then in bread crumbs then fried...I would say that works for crushed doritos or potato chips or french onions, etc. I would like a review of how it went.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I like scotch eggs, but I only do them wrapped with sausage, seasoned with bbq rub and smoked, have never made them breaded. I have seen recipes where you dip the sausage covered egg in flour, then in egg, then in bread crumbs then fried...I would say that works for crushed doritos or potato chips or french onions, etc. I would like a review of how it went.
I passed on the idea. Ended up no dry rub and then BBQ sauce last 10 minutes. Man they were damn good