MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Default pizza oven

Anyone know anything about the Pit Boss Charcoal Pizza Oven? I've only seen them in a store a couple times. Just curious.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I did a couple of laps around Google. I did not find much there. Folk here are good about posting pics and thoughts on all their "new toys"- there have been several pizza ovens- but I don't recall this specific one.

What about his one has you curious?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Was hoping to hear from people who have used one. They are on sale at Menard's right now and it had me interested. $189, I think. I couldn't find any reviews on Google and figured someone here probably had experience on them.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

No experience with this particular one. Have used one with similar heat patterns. I think you would be fine with traditional American style pizza. It's a decent design for medium heat pizza, take and bake, etc.

May run into some top heat issues if you are looking for a high temp solution. I couldn't find any good pictures of the inside, but appears there is just the one stone. The heat would go up the sides, and straight out the top if I'm seeing it correctly. This may make for an uneven bake at higher temps.

For the money though, I'd give it a shot. Really not much downside at that price.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry, don't have one. But, I love my Blackstone pizza oven!
Are you looking for specific info on that one or opinion on pizza ovens? My opinion: everyone should have a pizza oven!

Funny story, just this AM. My buddy called and asked if I wanted to grab some pizza and beers tonight. I said sure, y don't we just come to my house. I ran to the store (2 minutes away) grabbed 2 dough balls from the local bakery for $3. total.
Threw them in the oven to rise. When I get home from work, we'll be making 2 large pizza's with whatever toppings I want. For $3 and the cost of a bit of propane!!
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the input. I don't like buying stuff that i don't know much about without reading user reviews. Not sure which way I'm gonna go. Hopefully someone who has used one will post.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

For a few more bucks, I'd go Uuni 3.

It has some quirks, but makes excellent pizza.
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
For a few more bucks, I'd go Uuni 3.

It has some quirks, but makes excellent pizza.
I just picked up a Uuni 3 but have not cooked on it yet. What are the quirks and do you have any tips on using it?

What kind of pellets do you use?

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Is the Uuni 3 $150ish better the the Pit Boss? Don't know anything about either cooker.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Update- Menard's has the Pit Boss Charcoal Pizza Oven on clearance for $168.21 counting the 11% rebate. Started at #60, i believe.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #11
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Sounds like you’ll be providing us the first review.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Is the Uuni 3 $150ish better the the Pit Boss? Don't know anything about either cooker.
Sorry, I lost the bubble on this.

I have not used the Pit Boss, but I would say yes based on the following:

1. PB advertises 500-700 temps. Uuni 3 runs right up to around 1,000. I've put pizzas in to cook too soon on the Uuni (while it was still heating up) and they were nowhere near as good. The crust was denser, and we had a harder time getting the bottom and top done at the same time.

2. The PB is HUGE, the Uuni can be easily stored.

3. The headspace on the PB is also HUGE. The biggest obstacle that I've found in cooking good pizza at home is getting the top done without scorching the bottom. In the Uuni there is a lot of heat coming over the top of the pizza and things end up cooked at the same time.

4. Similar to 3, it appears that all of the heat in the PB comes from the bottom instead of top and bottom.

FWIW there is an Uuni 3 for sale in Fayetville NC for $100 right now.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I just picked up a Uuni 3 but have not cooked on it yet. What are the quirks and do you have any tips on using it?

What kind of pellets do you use?

Thanks.
Sorry this comes so late.

Fire management is the biggest tip. When first lighting, don't put too many pellets in the hopper. Give them some time to get fully fired up, then I like to fill the hopper maybe 1/3 full little while while it gets up to temp.

The other big thing that we have found is to use a knife to make sure the burning pellets are forward in the cooking chamber and that they aren't plugging the shoot. Every now and then, we basically stick a knife in the pellet hopper and stir it all up and push some forward.

Get a tool to wipe the flour/cornstarch off the pizza stone. It eventually burns and tastes pretty bad. Still haven't found the best tool - pretty much everything we've tried either melts or burns :)

Other than that, just practice :)

Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the info. Went to Menard's to look at the PB but it was on the top shelf with no way to put hands on it. Too much Christmas stuff out to leave it on the floor.
Figures.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Sorry this comes so late.

Fire management is the biggest tip. When first lighting, don't put too many pellets in the hopper. Give them some time to get fully fired up, then I like to fill the hopper maybe 1/3 full little while while it gets up to temp.

The other big thing that we have found is to use a knife to make sure the burning pellets are forward in the cooking chamber and that they aren't plugging the shoot. Every now and then, we basically stick a knife in the pellet hopper and stir it all up and push some forward.

Get a tool to wipe the flour/cornstarch off the pizza stone. It eventually burns and tastes pretty bad. Still haven't found the best tool - pretty much everything we've tried either melts or burns :)

Other than that, just practice :)
Thanks for the info. I have used my Uuni since I posted that question and pretty much did what you said about how many pellets to use. I actually probably used less pellets since I never really filled them up to the point that they were up in the shoot and I only added a little bit at a time. I would just check the pellets after each cook and added some if it looked like it needed it. I never had any problems with fire management on that day. Not to say I won't in the future.

It was kind of windy the day I cooked mine so I pointed the rear of the cooker toward the wind and I didn't have any issues with the pellets in the front not burning. I usually had flames coming out the door when I opened it up to turn the pizza and remove it.

I didn't try cleaning the stone while cooking but afterward, I just used a plastic scraper and it pretty much got everything off.