MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #76
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
A chore for some is a pleasure for others.
Do whatever trips your trigger. Just don't go vegan!
Vegan Briskets are the only way to go, I'm not a fan of meat eating cows...
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #77
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
A ceramic kamado is one super easy to run smoker.

Results are outstanding and they lock into temps and stay there.
Ive heard they are very good at keeping temp, and moist because they don't turn over the air that often. Maybe once they come down in price ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
Vegan Briskets are the only way to go, I'm not a fan of meat eating cows...
Bwahaha. LMAO
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #78
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
my smoker at half intake vent open full exhaust will burn at 400 degrees when the wood catches and the fire is roaring.
I have nothing to offer than hasn't already been said about your decision. I also have no experience with your particular pit. I would like to make an observation based on your comment.

Your spikes in temperature indicate to me that some different fire management techniques might have been in order. I'm thinking along the lines of 1) smaller fire and 2) smaller wood. In addition, the "add a split every 40 minutes" is something that not all pits subscribe to. In fact, it can be more like every 20 minutes to calm the temp fluctuations while maintaining a good coal base. I only bring this point to the table for those considering a stick burner in their future. Learn to control temps with fire size and forget about the dampers. Then and only then can you start to dial things in (like more or less smoke flavor) with the damper settings. Three cooks on an offset is not much of a learning curve.

I'm glad you found a buyer for your pit - best of luck with your new set up.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #79
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I have nothing to offer than hasn't already been said about your decision. I also have no experience with your particular pit. I would like to make an observation based on your comment.

Your spikes in temperature indicate to me that some different fire management techniques might have been in order. I'm thinking along the lines of 1) smaller fire and 2) smaller wood. In addition, the "add a split every 40 minutes" is something that not all pits subscribe to. In fact, it can be more like every 20 minutes to calm the temp fluctuations while maintaining a good coal base. I only bring this point to the table for those considering a stick burner in their future. Learn to control temps with fire size and forget about the dampers. Then and only then can you start to dial things in (like more or less smoke flavor) with the damper settings. Three cooks on an offset is not much of a learning curve.

I'm glad you found a buyer for your pit - best of luck with your new set up.
thank you. you kinda made my point for me. I have no interest in adding wood every 20 mins or cutting down splits to cook.

thanks though

Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #80
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I hear ya!
I love my wood burner and love the food that comes off of it. I won't get rid of it.
There are times I don't want to tend the fire or don't have time to tend the fire. I can toss the meat or whatever into a drum and walk away. Check cattle, fix fence, chase critters, come back to some good eats, with no fuss.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #81
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

Very cool thread. El Luchador - I appreciate your candor. Very supportive community here. Stick with whatever works best for you... but keep on cookin’!!
SMetroHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #82
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

I have a serious case of cooker OCD. I started on charcoal, went to stick burning, then moved out west wher wood costs a fortune to buy. So, I went to baby logs (pellets), then back to charcoal, then pellets, and recently acquired my good friend's Klose pit after he passed away (RIP Bull). I Love ALL of it! I get what you're saying for sure, and in the end you just have to be happy. There isn't anything like sitting behind a firebox shooting the shtt with your friends/family, and the food can be amazing.....but in the "real" world a lot of people just don't have the time anymore, which is sad.

With all that said, I solved the problem I was having between which cooker to use. I bought one of each! Sort of. Still don't have a water cooker. I love them all! My abilities and cooker racial eyes are blind

Suddenly, I feel the urge to fire up the Klose (baby bull).
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #83
tom b

I really don't have much to add but I run my pit pretty much like txsmkmstr described, that said I do not always have time for that, that is why I have options.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #84
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

I started cooking with my egg around 2005. I had a heavy Oklahoma Joe prior to that that I never really learned because I didn’t take the time. The egg made it it so easy. I still have that same egg. Next, I bought a Traeger Texas. It was even easier. I plugged it in and tried to set it and forget it just like the commercials said. Like a post above, I could never let any of those cookers be. I guess you can say that I never “trusted” any of them.

To this day, I’ve had a Pitmaker Vault, Yoder YS640, PBS and a Gateway drum on top of all of the above cookers. I never learned to trust any of them...and was able to go to sleep or the kids or grandkids “games”. I have always needed to know “where it’s at”.

I’ve won several GC’s and RC’s at competitions while winning at Sam’s, IBCA, LSBS and KCBS competitions. I’ve qualified for and attended the American Royal Invitational as well as the World Food Championship when it was in Las Vegas.

I have always been too anal to allow myself more than probably more than 2 hours without checking my cooker.

What I am saying I guess, is if you trust whatever tool you choose to do the cooking for you; you are more of a relaxed cooker than I have ever have been despite the multiple attempts and the thousands of dollars I have spent in that pursuit.

Me? I give up. I’ll sit by the fire and feed it.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #85
bryonlr
is one Smokin' Farker

As been stated repeatedly, and what it really comes down to, it's the cook, not the cooker.
bryonlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #86
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I hear ya!
I love my wood burner and love the food that comes off of it. I won't get rid of it.
There are times I don't want to tend the fire or don't have time to tend the fire. I can toss the meat or whatever into a drum and walk away. Check cattle, fix fence, chase critters, come back to some good eats, with no fuss.
Thank you. btw, I was on your website and saw the whole hog you cooked in the cinder block pit using nothing but charcoal. It was great to hear that some of your friends thought it was the best they had ever tasted.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #87
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
Thank you. btw, I was on your website and saw the whole hog you cooked in the cinder block pit using nothing but charcoal. It was great to hear that some of your friends thought it was the best they had ever tasted.
lol Thanks!
There's an underground pig there too, using fence posts and hard wood.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #88
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I really don't have much to add but I run my pit pretty much like txsmkmstr described, that said I do not always have time for that, that is why I have options.
yes sir. one trend I think Im seeing in this thread, is it seems almost everyone, even the diehard stick guys, have an "easy" cooker as well, be it charcoal or pellets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I started cooking with my egg around 2005. I had a heavy Oklahoma Joe prior to that that I never really learned because I didn’t take the time. The egg made it it so easy. I still have that same egg. Next, I bought a Traeger Texas. It was even easier. I plugged it in and tried to set it and forget it just like the commercials said. Like a post above, I could never let any of those cookers be. I guess you can say that I never “trusted” any of them.

To this day, I’ve had a Pitmaker Vault, Yoder YS640, PBS and a Gateway drum on top of all of the above cookers. I never learned to trust any of them...and was able to go to sleep or the kids or grandkids “games”. I have always needed to know “where it’s at”.

I’ve won several GC’s and RC’s at competitions while winning at Sam’s, IBCA, LSBS and KCBS competitions. I’ve qualified for and attended the American Royal Invitational as well as the World Food Championship when it was in Las Vegas.

I have always been too anal to allow myself more than probably more than 2 hours without checking my cooker.

What I am saying I guess, is if you trust whatever tool you choose to do the cooking for you; you are more of a relaxed cooker than I have ever have been despite the multiple attempts and the thousands of dollars I have spent in that pursuit.

Me? I give up. I’ll sit by the fire and feed it.
sounds like bbq is a serious hobby for you! congrats on the gc and rgc wins. Im sure getting to that level takes a lot of effort and talent.

for me, bbq is not my hobby. Cooking is. all kinds of cooking. I love smoking, grilling, I LOVE my wok burner, baking, braising,searing etc. I guess I like to eat, so I like to cook. I want it to taste great, but Im trying to eat, not necessarily to take the scenic route.

btw, Im sure it wont help you, but just in case, a heatermeter is a very cheap tool and it will show you your cooker temps anywhere you have internet access. it will even text your phone or email you if your cooker goes below or above a set temp.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #89
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
lol Thanks!
There's an underground pig there too, using fence posts and hard wood.
I saw that one too --but you were burning wood! - and I didnt see any best ever comments on that one so....

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #90
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post

I have a follow up question since you compete , and win.

by the time its all said and done, how much of a difference does the cooker make to the flavor. in your opinion. ie stick vs charcoal vs pellets etc