MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rotisserie Prime Rib Surf & Turf Pizza

Try as I may, I have not been able to find a local pizza joint that offers a prime rib surf & turf pizza option, so for a Brethren Throwdown I decided I needed to make it myself. It turned into a multi-day affair.

I started out with one of my long-time rotisserie bucket lists…Prime Rib! Seven pounds of carnivoric birthday glory. Fark yeah MEAT baybee yeah!
Step one: two days prior to liftoff, I encased it in minced garlic and pepper.

Step two, 24-hours prior to liftoff: dusted off much of the above, and replaced with a coat of Montreal, then left it in the fridge open-air overnight.

Step 3: removed it from the fridge in the AM to allow the temp to come up. A few hours prior to firing it up, dusted it with flour. (note: This was a suggestion given to me by an Auspiteer, and in hindsight, either I didn’t execute it well or it was a bad idea, but I heard it from someone who swears by it. Personally, I ended up with a mushy bark, which may have been resolved with more heat, something I was hesitant to do as I was treating the interior with kid gloves.) Anyone's thoughts on this?

Step 4: fired up my fire pit with locally scavenged hickory, oak and pecan wood and set the prime rib out to spin. I kept the heat pretty low so that there would be ample time to drink enough beers while it was cooking.

Step 5: I believe the flour had something to do with this, but the meat didn’t start sweating almost at all until the last hour of the 4.5 hours or so I cooked it. About the time it began to sweat, I also gave it a baste with an au jus gravy I had made.

Step 6: pulled it off around 130, wrapped in foil—deeelishious! Ingredient #1, was ready to roll!

The next day it was time to pre-cook the shrimp and red peppers on the Rib-o-Lator just a bit. The shrimp got tossed with garlic-infused olive oil, lemon pepper, and freshly picked oregano and purple basil. The red peppers also got some garlic oil, plus chipotle rub. At this point I was mostly cooking over charcoal, with a bit of oak and hickory for good measure.

Next I grabbed some pizza dough, coating it with spaghetti sauce. For cheese, I went with a mix of mozzarella, smoked provolone, Parmesean and Romano. Then came the prime rib, shrimp, red onions, red peppers, plus more fresh oregano and purple basil.

I prepared this amazingly delicious dish for a Brethren Throwdown. When it came to entry presentation time, the people who set the rules for the competition asked us to complement our entry with a figurine. I tried unsuccessfully to revive my figurines from the rotisserie wedding cake I made previously: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=123468 but I couldn’t pry their melted faces from the bottom of my fire pit.

So based my understanding of this week’s rules, here’s my entry:

But I’m not 100% sure of the rules on this and whether the figurine needs to be placed on TOP of the pizza or not. So as a backup I thought about going with the classic Cock-on-Pop pizza presentation:

But in the end I couldn’t resist the charms of the penguin, so if a figurine needs to be ON the pizza, please let this be my official entry:

Which one do you prefer? Please stop by the Throwdown section and give me a vote either way!

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

looks amazing!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

YES YES YES! I thought i was the only one that liked rotisserie meat over a real fire. That's some beeeeeeautiful chow!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Fwismoker

I like the water in the back ground pic.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #5
Phubar

Good to see you turning again!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
YES YES YES! I thought i was the only one that liked rotisserie meat over a real fire. That's some beeeeeeautiful chow!
Meat...fire...goood! I'm glad to be back in the South this summer with some time on my hands and wood at the ready. Last summer up in Park City, Utah, where not only is cooking wood hard to come by, but also because of the drought, they had a burn ban in place from May through October 31 (at which point there is snow on the ground) No fun.

You will find that I don't cook with anything other than a rotisserie. It is the only thing I have and only thing I know how to use--("know" being used rather loosely here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Good to see you turning again!
Thanks, I missed you guys. Glad to be back! Looking forward to more cook sessions this summer!

--J.R.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Good looking cook. Love the old school approach.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

Geat job Johnny, it'd eat it bird poop and all. Because you know that's what it's doing don' you?
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

B-O-B 206-999-0962 [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
[URL="http://www.ribolator.com/"]http://www.ribolator.com[/URL] [URL]http://www.bungeeclips.com[/URL]
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

"Wandering around North America" -- with a penguin? What's up with that? C'mon, where are you really?

That's one nice looking grub.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Fantastic pie JR... Truly inspirational. Glad to see you back!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
C'mon, where are you really?
Where am I? Where are YOU? I'm sure you are fleeing from the law as I can't possibly imagine you being near a computer and a fire somewhere and not coming up with an entry involving a figurine.

Upon reflection...was that whole bizarre category an attempt by the authorities to flush you out of hiding? Or is it possible that since almost every TD entry you have posted has involved a figurine of some sort, that you thought this one was too much of Amateur Hour to stoop to?

I'm going to go with the running from the law premise with the theory that you don't want to post photos that might give away your location.

Well, mum's the word here. Best of luck and post when you can.

--Jonny Rotisserie

PS Nice hearing from you!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Good looking pie there Jonny!! I bet that crust was nice and crispy on the under side thanks to the spinning trays of doom!
I'm not sure about the goofy "farkin special rules" either... the water pic looks great but I think the second one has the intimidation factor, that cock looks ready to defend it's pizza!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks great from here too!! Nice job!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Good looking pie there Jonny!! I bet that crust was nice and crispy on the under side thanks to the spinning trays of doom!
You are right about that! This was the first time I had ever used raw dough on there. My learning curve was that the first time I used too much heat right under it and the dough seeped through the openings and burnt. That said, I scraped off the scar marks and the rest was mmmm tasty. I'm even a bit embarrassed to say that out of all the delicious ingredients, one of my tasters thought the crust was the best part: crisp on the bottom and just the right amount of doughy elsewhere.

The next time I put foil in the tray, then pushed my coals off to the sides, dropped the tray in the middle and stopped the motor. That worked awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
...I think the second one has the intimidation factor, that cock looks ready to defend it's pizza!
And what cock wouldn't try to defend its pie?

--J.R

Tags
Auspit, prime rib, rotisserie, rotisserie pizza, Rotisserie Prime Rib, shrimp on pizza?, surf and turf pizza