**Last cook on the Big Green Egg- I'm Bummed!**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well tonight was the last time I'll be cooking on the BGE. I got it a couple years ago for free, it was an older Egg that I upgraded with a DFMT, Spring assist hinge, and Stainless steel slider. I knew it had a crack in it when I replaced the hinge, but today I noticed a huge crack in the bottom opposite the other one.

100_2542.jpg

It runs from the gasket through the bottom vent and into the bottom.

100_2543.jpg

So there is basically a V section being held in place by the hinge band! Its expanding and contracting and I don't feel very comfortable using it on my deck like this.

So it was with heavy heart and empty stomach I threw in a couple Oak wine chunks with Royal Oak lump and grilled a 2.5lb Tri-Tip with a Santa Maria rub.

100_2544.jpg

100_2545.jpg

My wife tried to console me and said "don't worry, you'll find another one". Probably, but I don't know if I can go all Summer without it! PNW Eggfest is in September- I'm BUMMED!

What a bummer.

Couldn't you maybe add a couple straps like a wine barrel and make it last for the summer?

Sorry to hear.

That steak does look pretty though.

That does stink! Sure a couple of rolls of duct tape wouldn't help? :lol:

Steak does look good though!

Must hurt, but with your luck, you'll find a bottom in a month and you'll have the rest of the parts on hand.

Bummer....

...All the King's horses and all the King's men,
Couldn't put (that) Humpty together again.

I don't think the price of a new lower is that out of hand. Buy it from a dealer in case it ever happens again.

Bummer....

...All the King's horses and all the King's men,
Couldn't put (that) Humpty together again.

I don't think the price of a new lower is that out of hand. Buy it from a dealer in case it ever happens again.

The last time I checked around it was @ $250 for the bottom. I haven't called the dealer or the Mothership yet. I'll probably take it apart and use JB-Weld on it if I can. I've been very careful with it and don't max it out temp wise or do high sears, always keep it covered and have never dropped the lid on it. Just one of those things! I've just got my hands full with all the Kamado restorations that I wasn't expecting this. I just wish I could get the JB-Weld in quarts!!!

Dude...this is un-good...:sad: Don't do anything drastic with the egg...I'm sure you'll come up with a solution soon.

I'm thinking we can "V" out the crack and patch it with some JB Weld...hey...it'll fit right in with your collection...:p

Just repair it. I repaired a worse problem with mine for next to nothing. Go to the BGE site there is a boatload of information there that will get you back cooking on that egg again.

I'm thinking we can "V" out the crack and patch it with some JB Weld...hey...it'll fit right in with your collection...:p

That's what I'm thinking for the fix. I talked to Russ ( Madhatter ) and most of his comp Eggs are held together with epoxy and Eat Crow does well on the comp trail!

The last time I checked around it was @ $250 for the bottom. I haven't called the dealer or the Mothership yet. I'll probably take it apart and use JB-Weld on it if I can. I've been very careful with it and don't max it out temp wise or do high sears, always keep it covered and have never dropped the lid on it. Just one of those things! I've just got my hands full with all the Kamado restorations that I wasn't expecting this. I just wish I could get the JB-Weld in quarts!!!

It does come in the "Industro Weld" shop-size tube.

industroweld_lrg.jpg

Back