Best of the Best National BBQ Festival (Waycross, Georgia)

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We got an invitation to this contest a couple of weeks ago and it said we have until sometime in October to enter or whenever they fill up at 50 teams. Has anyone ever cooked this and know whether they fill up fast or are we good holding off for awhile if we are thinking about it? It's 1,036 miles from home so it'll be a long ass drive but could also stop in Danielsville and bring my little sister along for the first time!

I've cooked it 4 or 5 times and it's a great pair of contests. In the past there has typically been room up until the end, but in the past there was also an entry fee for the Invitational. They have come up with a way to make it a free entry this year, so that may up the popularity. I'd call or email Kell and let him know you're interested but can't say for certain yet. I bet he can hold a spot for you. I highly recommend the contest to anyone invited, it's one of the best out there IMO.

Last edited:
My wife and I will be judging both Friday and Saturday this year. Looking forward to meeting you if you are there!

We're probably going to make the trip this year. Got invited last year and just couldnt pull it off.... but we'll likely be there in some form or fashion this year. Working on logistics right now. :)

We did this contest a couple of times and had a terrific time ! I really think its a real blast to do. Plus hanging out with a lot of those uber friendly FBA teams is wonderful. Wish we had more vacation time to fit it in to this years schedule.

Also if at all possible judge the pie contest. Its awesome after cooking BBQ.

Do they prefer you cook both? I figured if we go, we'd just do the invitational then hit the long road home.

We will see you there. We have heard nothing but great things about the contest!

Back