• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discada tacos

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After a little snafu the other night the first time I tried using this new burner/pan setup, I gave it another whirl today for “discada tacos”. This burner puts out some heat, I have to use it almost on the lowest setting unless there’s a lot of liquid, and even then still not past half.

The first step was to heat up some bacon to release the fat for use by the other ingredients. Once the bacon was sizzling, minced garlic, and then some chorizo.

I’ve always been impressed with how forthcoming they are on the chorizo ingredients....could’ve just said “pork”, but they go full on glands and lymph nodes. *lalaalala I’m pretending I didn’t read that because it tastes good*

Once the chorizo and bacon have let off some of their moisture, I pushed it up on the rim of the pan and used the oil to cook diced flank steak.

Hot dogs are a common ingredient in discada recipes...from what I can tell, it’s kind of a Mexican MSU dish....choose your own adventure. I tried to get the hotdogs and steak seared up a little bit.

Onions, bell peppers, potatoes, diced chipotle peppers, Mexican oregano, salt, pepper, cumin up next.

Once the veggies have released some of their juices, a bottle of Negra Modelo and some beef broth. Then I turned the heat down pretty low and let it simmer for a bit.

The sauce has been reduced by half or a little more at this point

Now I moved the chorizo mix back into the rest of the dish and finish reducing the liquid.

The mix was eaten on corn tortillas, I didn’t take any pics so use your imagination. Not bad for my first try, FIL approved :clap2: thanks for looking

Looks great! I'm a big fan of lymph glands and other stuff.... in chorizo. Completely agree - could've just said "pork."

Haven't seen it in a bit, but I've bought "discada" mix from local Mexi-Mart with great success. All sorts of "clean-out the meat case" action in there. Makes killer tacos.

Fun to see you play with the new toy.... even if the burner is on steroids.

Kind regards from Out West.

Thanks! Not bad for my first try - next time I’ll probably leave the taters out and maybe swap the hotdogs out for another kind of meat like pork, but it ate!

Funny how what may sound like gross stuff tastes good. At least as long as you don’t know or until you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You know, I've eaten chorizo before and enjoyed it. Now, I'm just not sure after you decided to post the ingredients lol.

You know, I've eaten chorizo before and enjoyed it. Now, I'm just not sure after you decided to post the ingredients lol.

I don’t know that’s how all brands are done, I wondered if the reason they list it is because it’s considered more “authentic” that way. Sometimes I make my own chorizo with ground Boston butts, but the texture is never quite like this (I suspect that to be the lack of glands and lymph nodes). It has a place.

I'm never grossed out by what it is. We eat critters and them what can eat us.

Mother Nature is one tough broad. :mrgreen:

Not too bad, I did have to soak it for awhile to loosen some of the stuff that accumulated in the center. It's a good reminder why I don't like cooking on stainless steel :becky: I may try to find a different dish at some point that I can get a non-stick seasoning built up on.

I don’t know that’s how all brands are done, I wondered if the reason they list it is because it’s considered more “authentic” that way. Sometimes I make my own chorizo with ground Boston butts, but the texture is never quite like this (I suspect that to be the lack of glands and lymph nodes). It has a place.

There is Spanish chorizo (usually, but not always cased and smoked) and Mexican chorizo which is fresh and usually in bulk. Latino markets will have a couple of varieties and heat levels and it can be mixed into ground pork or beef. Even Johnsonville makes a chorizo. Other than Mexican food, I like to mix it 50:50 with beef for a Mexi-Meatloaf.

The pork chorizo product you bought in the tube is high in fat, has seasonings added (which gives it that odd color) and the glands and pork cheeks are to give it the unique flavor and some texture. You actually used it correctly by heating it up and later.... incorporating it into your meat, veggies and potatoes. They claim it's a stand alone product, but none of the Mexican cooks I know use it that way because the texture is so funky. They use it as a flavor and fat additive to various dishes.

If you make chorizo and eggs (or breakfast burritos), try this method: Start browning some ground or cubed pork (or a very mild breakfast sausage) squeeze out two or three fingers worth from the tube, add some chopped onion, chopped jalapeno and maybe some shredded potatoes and cook to almost done, adding more oil along the way if needed. Adjust seasoning if needed. Add scrambled eggs and fold until the eggs are almost done. Adding a little cheese is optional. Remove and the eggs will finish cooking on the plate.

Back