pork butt

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made 2 pork butt's a couple of weeks ago. I did one with Famous Dave's rib rub and the 2nd was SirPorkaLot's Lexington style. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525&highlight=Lexington) Just salted then added the vinegar sauce. The Lexington style flavor turned-out great!!! I thought it might be a tad over-salted, but it wasn't at all. My question is on both butts, it seemed like the "outer" layer was to hard. I left them completely un-wrapped in the smoker like the thread suggested. Once it was done being smoked, I then wrapped in foil and it went into a cooler to hold for approx 3 hours. Am I supposed to let it vent and cool down a little bit before I wrap in foil and into the cooler? My first thought, was if I wrapped after I got the color I wanted and it started to stall, it might have stayed a little more moist and not have dried-out the outside as much? I loved the flavor, but the exterior of the butt was more towards a jerky feel. I only have a couple of pics, and none of the finished product. All were smoked on WSM with cherry. All comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

it might have stayed a little more moist and not have dried-out the outside as much...yes you are correct. You could have sprayed or mopped. Did you leave at least 1/4" fat cap? These will all help you get what you want to achieve. I will say they both look good!

Looks good to me. Your Lexington butt looks exactly like what I am shooting for when I cook a pork butt. Chop up that bark and mix it in well - those are the little flavor bombs that make NC BBQ so good.

That said, if you really don't want the bark, you could try reducing your cooking temp or wrapping when the exterior texture reaches your preferred level of crispiness.

I'm not one of these guys on here that does this weekly, or all that frequently, Fwiw. I've read on here and other places about wrapping or not wrapping. I've never wrapped my butts before, but I got sick of shredding the butts at 11pm. cause they took longer-than-expected cause of the stall.

Last tome I did 3 of them and I wrapped them when they hit 150. (Fwiw, I spray them about every hour any time I smoked butts). The stall was beat and I was done at 7pm this time. All 3 had different rubs on them. All 3 were the juiciest I've ever had. The bark wasn't tough like it typically was. Like you explained it, like jerkey. The bark was moist, but had all the seasoning and flavor that was expected.

For time, taste and moisture, Im'ma wrapper from now on. Ymmv, but to each their own. Ttyl, Aceman

I made 2 pork butt's a couple of weeks ago. I did one with Famous Dave's rib rub and the 2nd was SirPorkaLot's Lexington style. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525&highlight=Lexington) Just salted then added the vinegar sauce. The Lexington style flavor turned-out great!!! I thought it might be a tad over-salted, but it wasn't at all. My question is on both butts, it seemed like the "outer" layer was to hard. I left them completely un-wrapped in the smoker like the thread suggested. Once it was done being smoked, I then wrapped in foil and it went into a cooler to hold for approx 3 hours. Am I supposed to let it vent and cool down a little bit before I wrap in foil and into the cooler? My first thought, was if I wrapped after I got the color I wanted and it started to stall, it might have stayed a little more moist and not have dried-out the outside as much? I loved the flavor, but the exterior of the butt was more towards a jerky feel. I only have a couple of pics, and none of the finished product. All were smoked on WSM with cherry. All comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back