Smoked Spare Ribs - too much smoke?

aprevost

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all

I used my new BGE to smoke spare ribs today. I put 4 chunks of wood in with the charcoal (2 apple and 2 pecan). I had let them soak in water for a few hours. I used chips when I did prime rib on Christmas Day and I felt like they burned up too quickly so I bought some chunks yesterday.

How much wood do you usually use in the BGE for smoking ribs? And the type/combo you prefer?

They turned out pretty good (as in the fam already housed them and I just pulled them off lol) but personally I feel like the smoke flavor is a little strong.

I am sorry if this is a goofy question - super new here!

Thanks!

I'm not cooking on an egg, but I use 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of pecan when cooking ribs in either my WSM or my Humphrey's Battle Box and have never had a problem with the ribs being too smokey. What are you using for charcoal?

Also, I never soak my wood chunks, this explains why it isn't needed
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

I think you will find that the wood smoldered instead of burned and could have been the source. I never soak.

3 or 4 chunks in a Large Egg sounds about right, but don't soak them. When you soak them they just smolder and produce dirty smoke. Mix the chunks in with the lump and they'll burn at different times and give you clean smoke and a better flavor.

Agree with Ron. I typically use 4 or 5 unsoaked hickory along with hardwood lump in my kamado. It doesn't end up too smokey. My wife does not like strong smoke, but my family really digs the ribs this way. Soaked chunks in the past have given me a creosote bitter taste, not the taste of thin blue smoke.

3 or 4 chunks in a Large Egg sounds about right, but don't soak them. When you soak them they just smolder and produce dirty smoke. Mix the chunks in with the lump and they'll burn at different times and give you clean smoke and a better flavor.

I agree with this. I sometimes use 8 or 9 chunks in my 22.5 WSM for a spares cook. I'm from TN and the wife is from VA so we do like a bit more smoke than average, but I have IA people over and they chow down on these as well. The smoke is noticeable, but no complaints of oversmoked yet. I think you have a smoldering issue.

I think it was Bludawg who said there is no way to oversmoke food if you keep a clean fire

Back