Smoked Salmon

KenC52

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Salt cured some salmon and then smoked it on my weber performer with some apple wood. Smoke was fine. Too salty. Only cured it 24 hours in the refrigerator? Should have washed it more before drying it (again 24 hours in the fridge). Still it is pretty good with shaved grana padana cheese and some really good olive oil.

Attachments

• IMG_20180321_132901904_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180321_132901904_HDR.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20180321_140819096.jpg
    IMG_20180321_140819096.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 433
Thanks

You might like this - if you've got time on your hands. I've used their method on salmon, whiting, bluefish and mackerel. It just doesn't fail. I think they cold smoke, but warm smoke works too.

The original authors were "Three Men with too much time on their hands".

http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/file/garden/storage/The 3 Men's Fish Smoking Process.pdf

Thanks. I love to smoke fish, catfish, salmon, and bream in particular. Always looking for a new recipe or method of getting it done. And since I am retired I can find the time to try it out!

BTW Being retired means waking up with nothing on your "To Do" list and going to bed with only half of it done.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
From the color it looks like you did a brine cure? Did the recipe you used mention refreshing? Meaning rinsing the fillet under a gentle stream of running water for a period of time like 4 or 5 minutes?

I've used a dry cure for so long I've forgotten the cure time for brines, but 24 hours seems long. When dry curing I'll go 6 or 7 hours on a fillet this thickness, then a rinse, and then an overnight rest in the fridge for the pellicle.

PFkmjSE.jpg

Ken, your Salmon looks good,
Is it usually salty?

Yes, it was pretty salty. Mixed with some cream cheese or on toast with really good olive oil it was still quite good. But sliced on a cracker it was too salty.

Very nice, your temperature control must have been great, as I do not see any signs of albumin congealing on the surface.... Great job Ken.

Thirdeye's salmon is also superb, Great looking salmon Wayne.

Looks good, I have been cold smoking salmon for a long time and find if you let it sit for a few days in the fridge vacuum sealed, the salt will redistribute through the flesh to reduce the perceived saltiness and mellow the smoke flavor. This one will be ready for breakfast tomorrow. Not sure if that will also work with hot smoked salmon. Same thing for bacon, a week rest is miraculous for the saltiness.

coldsmokedsalmon by uconnchris, on Flickr

Hey -Chris-, that's a good tip. When I make my gift packages and want to include a side of salmon I use cooking planks (that I usually buy on sale) inside the vacuum bags. Not only do they protect the fillet when vacuum sealing, and when handling... they make a nice little cutting board for serving. I only smoke skin-on salmon and trout but still still wash the planks.

hBa2s4z.jpg

Twenty four hours in brine is too long. I dry brine and five or six hours is plenty.

That looks wonderful, I have not tried rubbing the filet with oil and applying some pepper or spices yet. I have young kids and something like a little too much pepper can turn them off.

I always prefer skin on filets as well, but I remove the skin after smoking but before packaging. The book I read on cold smoking fish suggested that removing the skin will cause it to last longer. I have smoked skinless filets and they just require less smoke since the meat really gets it from all sides. I guess you have not noticed any issues with leaving the skin on?

Chris

Back