MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Dr. Endo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Problems smoking salmon

So, I have a UDS that I made over a year ago now. I love it, and I've become pretty confident about my cooking skills with it. I've smoked whole fish in it before with good results but today was the first time that I tried salmon fillets. After reading all of the good reviews about "thirdeye's" recipe, I decided to go with that. I mixed up my brine/paste and followed the instructions closely. The flavor was fantastic but they were CRAZY SALTY! What do you guys with more experience than myself think that I did wrong. I washed off the fillets just as he told me to. The only deviation that I am guilty of committing was that I used granular salt instead of kosher salt. But would that make that big of a difference? I'm excited to try again but thought I would pool your guys thoughts on the matter.
Dr. Endo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That is probably why you have the problem Use kosher Thirdeye has a conversion and you would use a differab]nt amount with kosker than granular I believe there are other differences too
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Different brands of kosher salt differ in saltiness too.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
IamMadMan

It makes all the difference in the world...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

rinse it before you smoke it , the salt is to help pull the moisture out
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Bro-be-que
Knows what a fatty is.

kosher salt is coarser and lower in sodium than table salt. could make a huge diff...

BGE, Char Griller offset pit, Weber OTS
Bro-be-que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

there's a significant difference between kosher and the other stuff.....

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

2 things
1) When curing always go by weight instead of volume
2) As has been said above table or fine salt has a higher density than kosher and 1 C table salt can weigh almost twice as much as the same amount of Kosher.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

table salt is best left on the table , kosher ftw
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Problems smoking salmon

Just to be clear: kosher salt is neither less salty nor lower in sodium than any other kind if salt. Salt (NaCl) is salt is a rock is salt. Kosher salt is shaped in such a way that you get less mass of salt per the same volume if crystals, but that's density, not sodium content. Weight is the way to compare, but for Morton's, it's 5:4. Also, just FYI, "kosher salt" is not the only salt which is kosher. It's just the salt that you use to kosher bloody meat.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

^^^^he nailed it. Yeah there are different size grains of kosher salt. I have some that is labeled coarse kosher and i Like to use it in rubs. Iodized sale-table salt has grains like sugar. Keep in mind different kosher brands may have different grain sizes. The sizes of sale are:popcorn salt(the tiniest) through table salt, various kosher salts, various sea salts, rock salts, up to slabs of salt the size of a dinner table or larger.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

It even gets more complicated, but probably not significantly, by anti-caking and other additives put in salt. For example, non-iodized Morton table salt contains calcium silicate while Morton coarse Kosher salt contains Yellow Prussiate of Soda. Morton's iodized salt contains dextrose and potassium of iodine in addition to calcium silicate.

There are conversion charts online to help sort this all out.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Since we are on the subject what is the best kosher salt to use for rubs?
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
rockinshelby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Stick with the kosher salt. I use 1 cup kosher salt, 4 cups brown sugar and 10 -15 cloves crushed garlic. Dry brine for about 6 hours. Recipe stolen from www.salmonuniversity.com. Nice simple brine. Works perfect every time.
rockinshelby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinshelby View Post
Stick with the kosher salt. I use 1 cup kosher salt, 4 cups brown sugar and 10 -15 cloves crushed garlic. Dry brine for about 6 hours. Recipe stolen from www.salmonuniversity.com. Nice simple brine. Works perfect every time.
That's a great step by step pic tutorial there, thanks for posting!

Tags
drum, salmon, smoked, uds, ugly