Apple wood on its way!

C

ckkphoto

A friend of mine is coming back from his cabin. He called to let me know that an old dead apple tree out there fell over when he leaned on it, so he took out his chainsaw and cut it up, threw it in the bed of his truck and will drop by the house in the morning. Is that a friend or what? Add one more to the long list of people in my life that I treasure.
Tomorrow I am smoking a roast that we didn't know what else to with. I am soaking it overnight in DP with garlic and worsey. It will either be smoked over hackberry or (surprise) apple. I am going to have to start reading recipes. I have smoked so much meat that I am getting adventurous.

If it fell over when he leaned on it, there is a good chance that some of the wood has rotted, If so, discard the rotten wood or at least don't smoke with it.

If it fell over when he leaned on it, there is a good chance that some of the wood has rotted, If so, discard the rotten wood or at least don't smoke with it.
yep. and the good news is instant cured wood

The wood arrived this morning. My friend left the rotten pieces behind. Sooooo, the roast goes on soon. Haven't decided whether to cook it like a brisket or a roast and pull it at medium rare. Suggestions?

Back