MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Wow, tons of great replies. Thanks to everyone. Keep it coming.

The smaller Cookshack units are more within my starting budget as opposed to the 500. I am also looking at the MeadowCreek TS120 towable unit.

Anyone from Minnesota able to chime in?
Smoke House Moe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
We cater. Not huge. Depending on the week, we go through 500 - 1000 pounds of meat a week.
Jeeeeeezzz Jeff, I would call that huge.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

And it's almost all my wife my friend. She left her accounting job, soaked up my BBQ knowledge like a sponge and ran with it. We worked hard every weekend while she was employed, and now it's her deal and all she does.

While I'm off playing at a contest this coming weekend, she has $7500 in sales on the books, and that's just for Saturday. She works her arse off, and wouldn't have it any other way. With our group of "help", she makes every school function, earns more than she did as an accountant, and let's me play at contests! I certainly married "up".......
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Not in the game,but when you are up and running let me know. I would love to throw you some business if I can.
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Smoke House Moe

Thanks Pig Tamer.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You need an NSF or UL rated smoker in MN in order to be legal. Sorry. But MN is a bit tougher than other states. I highly recommend you meet with your state inspector for your area before any purchase. You may end up selling that really pretty offset which is just fine for comps but not legal for catering. Also you will most likely need a mid sized location license or access to an existing business or commerical kitchen in order to be allowed to cater. Its possible but you have to work within the guidelines.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
Utah Jake

I have and use these in vending so I know their strengths and weakness. Knowing all I do I would look at two units. The Traeger COM200 and the Lang 84 Deluxe with warming cabinet. The Traeger goes for $9000 new but can be found for $4500 used or less for the older SMK200 which is the only in an older model but in many ways better than the newer COM model. Both the Traeger models will hold 250 chicken quarters and cook even top to bottom rack. Cost to run the Tragers is about 3 pounds of pellets per hour but with BBQ pellets $10 per 25 pounds at Home Depot, it's good.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
SeaDogBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jake View Post
BBQ pellets $10 per 25 pounds at Home Depot, it's good.
Isn't there a difference between the home depot pellets and hardwood food grade pellets that are sold for about $1 a pound?

Thanks.
Jeremy

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #24
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use Southern Pride...NSF approved and use whole logs, propane assist...dont have to worry about pellets when cooking 20 or 30 butts and 15 briskets...

Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
SeaDogBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDogBBQ View Post
Isn't there a difference between the home depot pellets and hardwood food grade pellets that are sold for about $1 a pound?

Thanks.
Jeremy
Disregard my previous post....found the brand on the home depot site. Thanks

Tags
BBQ Trailer, catering, Minnesota