David's Hot & Spicy Loin Chops (Kids Q Prep)

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My 7 year old likes BBQ quite a bit and likes to cook (or at least he is very interested in the numerous gadgets that his Daddy has collected for cooking). We went to a local BBQ competition together earlier this year just to look around. There was a Kids Q going on and he expressed an interest in joining in. Long story short, I signed him up for a local event in January. Effectively, he'll have about 2 hours to cook a 1 1/2" pork loin chop using spices he brings with him or using the spices/sauces made available by the organizers. We went to the grocery yesterday, selected some chops and 'practiced'.

Here's our chef getting his meat prepped. They got some olive oil. One chop got rubbed with Jamaica Me Crazy and the other with 8th Wonder Splice Blend:

DSC_0107-1.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

He squirted the chops with apple juice along the way. Manning the grill:

DSC_0111-1.jpg

We heaped the charcoal on one side of the Smoky Joe with some Hickory Chunks. Best I could tell the grill temp on the indirect side was 400 or better. We cooked them about 45m and the internal temp was 150 or so when we grilled them briefly on the direct side. Before grilling at the end they got a light glaze of Texas Pepper Jelly Pineapple Habanero cut with BBQ Sauce.

DSC_0112-1.jpg

The finished product - applause all around

DSC_0113-1.jpg

DSC_0117-1.jpg

I tried my best to not help too much but I......well let's just say I need to work on that. He did light the fire, rub the meat and do all the flipping himself. He got alot of advice along the way. Next time we try it, I'm going to give him a checklist and let him do it all on his own. The chops were good. We're going to let him cook dinner more often.

Great job, David! It looks like you had fun and had a great meal! Dad better look out!

You're on track with the teaching it would appear. The wife & I have a 6 year old grandchild in the house now and I have difficulty in over "assisting" when he wants to cook things.

Congrats to the chef and good luck in the Kids Q

That is so cool:thumb: His chops look like the comp should be a bit worried!

Very Cool. :thumb: I have a 8 and a 6 year old and try to include them when I cook as much as possible.

Beautiful! Nice job little guy! That's awesome!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Teaching em at a young age, that's what I'm talkin bout! :becky:

I love Kidsz cooking with them Portables!
Great looking Phood!

Back