Anyone ever just make smoke?

in_the_basement

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
This past weekend I had my PBC going with some ribs on it. But the wind was blowing the smoke n the direction away from where my guests and I were sitting. So I pulled out the Smokey Joe and put some coals in it and lit a few in the middle. I added chunks of hickory, mesquite, apple and cherry wood strategically so that they would ignite through the day and I placed the Smokey Joe in a spot that would cause the wind to waft the glorious smoke past our area. It was awesome! I was not cooking anything on the Joe, just using it to make the atmosphere great.

I really enjoy the smell of smoke. So as weird as that is, I bet it helped set the ambience of a bbq.

From time to time I burn wood just so I can tend to it. I always have some onions or bulbs of garlic to throw in the fire. The aroma is amazing.

On the flip side, I saw a Jamaican restaurant down here burn fricking cardboard in their COS in their parking lot to attract customers. White billowing smoke is not a good sell for anything.

Back in 2015 when we got the 10 feet of snow in 6 weeks here in New England, I was up shoveling my roof and my neighbor was burning apple wood in his wood stove. I was so hungry.

Don't think I've lit a grill just to smell smoke though. But I do crack the kitchen window when cooking so little smokey goodness sneaks into the house when the wind blows the right way.

Indeed! I love throwing some splits in the fire pit and just watching 'em into the night. It has a removable cowboy-style grill but I have yet to actually grill anything on it. Now and then the boy will cook a marshmallow or two. I particularly enjoy putting some pinyon on there...it smells SO darn good.

BZc5IL9h.jpg

I have lit an "Ambience Fire" at cookouts before, or kept the fire burning after the cook for the aroma especially if I'm serving brisket or pulled pork, which I usually cook in advance to ensure supper is ready when I say it will be.
Glad I'm not alone!

Yep, I’ve been know to light the fire pit when it’s nearly too hot to breathe outside.

Back in 2015 when we got the 10 feet of snow in 6 weeks here in New England, I was up shoveling my roof and my neighbor was burning apple wood in his wood stove. I was so hungry.

Don't think I've lit a grill just to smell smoke though. But I do crack the kitchen window when cooking so little smokey goodness sneaks into the house when the wind blows the right way.

Brockton, MA-- Howdy neighbor!

In Texas we just take the covers off the smokers are let the sun do its work. 140 all day in the cooker and the drippings smell great. I have neighbors that swear I cook every day...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love the smell of wood smoke. Friends even found some "Campfire" scented candles for me. :-D

I've done it before by accident. They pulled all the meat out and nobody told me. I just kept feeding sticks into the shirley for a couple hours. It was at a Texas Bash so I've never lived it down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've started a fire in my offset just for fun/practice with waste 2x4 cutoffs or small tree branch trimmings, also used the lower bowl of my weber as a fire pit while camping at a site that had no firepits.

Sometimes a man's gotta play with his BBQ even if there's no meat on it!

I usually sniff my clothes and there is plenty of smoke smell...

You should look into an Amazen smoker if you just want some smoke wafting about.
The pellet tray will burn for 11 hours for me on a full load of pellets (15 ounces).
Just set it on a brick or cinder block up wind and you've got all the ambiance you'll need for a day for good eats, good times, and some fun and beers.

Take your pick of the flavor you want to savor. I'm partial to good ol Hickory.

My Daughter just bought her Husband a pellet smoker. He has had several very successful cooks on it but my daughter told me he will sometimes come home from work, get a cold beverage and turn on the smoker so he can close his eyes and let his mind wander off to a campground in the mountains. I had never thought about a smoker acting as an aromatherapy machine.

My Daughter just bought her Husband a pellet smoker. He has had several very successful cooks on it but my daughter told me he will sometimes come home from work, get a cold beverage and turn on the smoker so he can close his eyes and let his mind wander off to a campground in the mountains. I had never thought about a smoker acting as an aromatherapy machine.

Im doing this right now lol

Back