• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What a mess

Camille Eonich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The handle on my chimney starter melted and ruined not only the starter but the small Weber kettle that I had it sitting on. Anyone else managed to melt a handle?

Attachments

• ChimneyStarter.jpg
    ChimneyStarter.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 604
The handle on my chimney starter melted and ruined not only the starter but the small Weber kettle that I had it sitting on. Anyone else managed to melt a handle?

Never! WOW! How did you manage to do that? On the bright side it sounds like someone deserves a new grill :)

Never melted one, but have gotten them way too hot. I have learned not to sit them on the charcoal grate to start them. The sides of the kettle holds too much heat in on the handle. You can probably take a heat gun and a scraper to your grill and clean it up, then just buy a new handle from weber.

Congrats on the new Rec Tec. Now if I could only get away with something like that to get a cooking upgrade.

I guess I better quit using my kettle for lighting my chimney...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure I should admit I've done it to that level and got one to start sagging. I upgraded to a Weber Performer with the propane starter and just stack the briquettes

I have melted a handle. Chimney still works, though. It (along with a shirt with a huge flame-caused hole) is a reminder that fire can be your friend or your enemy.

I lit up a chimney of lump charcoal and after five minutes it was sparking like crazy. I live in Southern California where wildfires start very easily. I also live in a condo with three neighbors attached to our unit.

My solution was to put the kettle lid over the chimney until it stopped sparking so much. When I looked at it a few minutes later, half the handle had melted. The chimney still works but I'm done with lump until I have my own house.

Never melted a handle, but last summer i placed my chimney on the concrete driveway and lit it.. Big mistake, the concrete superheated, and as i was picking the chimney up to bring to the grill, the concrete exploded, luckily i didn't get any in the face, but got peppered in the leg. That was not fun.

Never melted a handle, but last summer i placed my chimney on the concrete driveway and lit it.. Big mistake, the concrete superheated, and as i was picking the chimney up to bring to the grill, the concrete exploded, luckily i didn't get any in the face, but got peppered in the leg. That was not fun.

Oh crap! Did you? LOL I have heard of blocks under Kamados exploding when the bottom was flat on the blocks.

Never melted one, but have gotten them way too hot. I have learned not to sit them on the charcoal grate to start them. The sides of the kettle holds too much heat in on the handle. You can probably take a heat gun and a scraper to your grill and clean it up, then just buy a new handle from weber.

MMMMM interesting. I do think you make a good point, particularly with a small Weber like cooker.

Did the same thing a couple years ago, luckily I wasn't right near it. I was inside the house and it sounded like someone shot a 22 right outside my door, scared the F outta me.

IMG_1080.jpg

Avoid exploding cement

I avoid the exploding cement by using a cheap oil catch pan. I got it a few years back for $5, and while it's rusted and warped in places, it keeps me from wrecking the patio:grin:

attachment.php

This was my ordeal a couple of years ago when I put my chimney on a flagstone. It exploded, sending coals in about a 6-8' spread, and notice how it warped the chimney.

I place my charcoal starter on the cooking grate of my Smokey Joe. Plenty of air and no overheating. Plus it is very portable.

Back