Brisket Dry Flat

bbqbrisket

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
?I often cut in half "packers cut" because I don't use the whole brisket.
I leave the cap on the flat.
After wrapping (in paper) at internal 165 and then increasing oven temp to 250, I start checking for tenderness at an internal 195. Probe goes in smooth usually at around 198. My paper is soaked. Then cooler/towel wrapped for 3 hours. When exposed, it is tender and there are still juices that I can press on and get but the texture is always dry. Is there something I am missing? Or do I have to live with the problem of zero fat in the the flat?

thanks

What grade of brisket are you cooking? How are you testing tenderness? If you're cooking choice or above and its always dry, you're not letting it cook long enough to render the fat.

What grade of brisket are you cooking? How are you testing tenderness? If you're cooking choice or above and its always dry, you're not letting it cook long enough to render the fat.

Overcooking will also cause dryness, but if he's pulling it before it hits 200 IT, it probably is not overcooked.

I do not cook whole briskets often but only buy whole packers.I am not an expert by any means.I cut the flat off wherever the point stops covering it.I smoke the portion of the flat that is covered by the point and grind the flat portion that I remove.Yummy burgers.Works for me.

Back