MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik
Default Butcher Hand Saw Recommendations

Wanted to see if any of you have a preference or any advice on a butcher saw. I want to start out by slicing some pork steaks out of some butts I have and eventually move on to butchering some bigger primal cuts. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

You don't want to be cutting bone in shoulder steaks with a manual meat saw. I would go boneless, or invest in a small band saw. IMO, unless you are butchering the whole animal, you are better off paying the butcher to do the cutting for you. There isn't that much difference in price between butt and steak.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a butcher/bone saw that I rarely use anymore, last time was to cut the antlers off a deer, now I use a cordless sawzall,
Frankly, using the saw for steaks, etc is a PITA, I just bone everything out and slice up with a scimitar or 10" chef knife.

Don't get me wrong it's doable, been done that way since forever, but since bandsaws were discovered a hand saw became mostly a decoration.
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I have used a hand saw way back when I was a butcher and it was mostly for breaking down the larger primals that couldn't easily be maneuvered on a bandsaw. You can probably find one at any restaurant or food service supply company, probably even Amazon. They are usually stainless steel so they can be easily cleaned and sanitized. As for cutting steaks with one...very difficult.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

LEM has a few options size wise, they are easy to use and the replacement blades are very reasonable and stay sharp with heavy use better than anything else we've tried.

We use the 16" model almost daily, I love it!
https://www.lemproducts.com/product/...hoCHP0QAvD_BwE

Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
LEM has a few options size wise, they are easy to use and the replacement blades are very reasonable and stay sharp with heavy use better than anything else we've tried.

We use the 16" model almost daily, I love it!
https://www.lemproducts.com/product/...hoCHP0QAvD_BwE
That sounds like exactly what I was looking for. From everyone's advice, sounds like I'm better off getting them caught by a butcher on a bandsaw but I'm kind of feeling stubborn and want to try it and find out for myself that it's a bad idea

Old 08-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Lem saw, cant recall what size, for basic deer butchering and primal cuts. I have no complaints about it but it can be tricky to hold the meat and saw at the same time. I'd prefer a bandsaw but i dont have the space to put one dedicated to butchery.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Just ran across this:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/f...958025378.html
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
thirdeye

My meat saw is a Wyoming Saw (imagine that) and it's primary use is for field dressing big game.... but in addition to sawing off shanks or necks in the field, it will cut pork steaks or ham steaks. I chill the cut of meat, then slice through the meat with a knife stopping at the bone. I switch to the meat saw and with a few strokes it goes right through. The LEM brand saws have a larger bow than my saw.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
My meat saw is a Wyoming Saw (imagine that) and it's primary use is for field dressing big game.... but in addition to sawing off shanks or necks in the field, it will cut pork steaks or ham steaks. I chill the cut of meat, then slice through the meat with a knife stopping at the bone. I switch to the meat saw and with a few strokes it goes right through. The LEM brand saws have a larger bow than my saw.
This is how a butcher works, very little actual sawing. Trust me you don't want to be trying to saw a wiggling slippery piece of pork butt.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I use to have a hand meat saw (Actually a bone saw) for game.
Mostly I used it to split Deer or Antelope from ass to appetite. Sawing the backbone lengthwise. There was rather limited use for it.
But.... when needed, it made short work of the task.

You will use one very little because of the bone sawdust they make.

Better is to learn how to cut down to, then use a deboning knife. Or like suggested, buy deboned.