JBurn, are you lighting your coals with lighter fluid or a chimney? If you are using a chimney you DON'T need to leave the lid off for any time frame once you dump the hot coals over the unlit coals. Just dump and put the lid back on.

Also, if you are gonna leave the lid off to check several meats, cover your intake with a leather glove or something similar, take the lid off and check your meat, them put the lid back on and wait about 5-10 minutes and the temp should not run up on you like that. I've never had mine hit 350 after checking meat but it has gone to about 320. That's when I started the glove trick. Hasn't passed 300 on me since then and the temp will drop back down pretty quick.

I did lighter fluid both times. So the time burning with the lid really effects things.

Great trick with the glove. I'll have to try that.

Glad to see people hanging corn! Now let's see some foiled baked potatoes! If you do hang them down to fire level....1 hour @ 350 on my temp gauge makes the best baked taters. Foil and poke with a knife.

Oh it was great. It was fresh sweet corn from our local farmer's market. I had never even attempted smoking corn, just let it go 1.5 hours and it was darn near perfect...tender but still a nice little snap on bites.

Question

I've had the PBC for a week today, cooked on it twice and I noticed rust on the outside at the seam where the bottom and side meet. Is this normal? I bought the cover from the PBC website and it has been covered when not in use.

Even though it's porcelain coated if you want to prevent rust you HAVE to keep the ashes cleaned out. Don't let it go more than a couple days after cooking without cleaning it out the best you can. I had an offset stick burner for over a year, and by keeping the firebox cleaned out and ash-free a day or so after cooking, I never had a speck of rust on it inside or out.

But if you've got a spot outside where the enamel has flaked off and its rusting you might just contact Noah? Don't know if he'd be willing to send you another one or not. Sounds like the kind of guy that would.

Even though it's porcelain coated if you want to prevent rust you HAVE to keep the ashes cleaned out. Don't let it go more than a couple days after cooking without cleaning it out the best you can. I had an offset stick burner for over a year, and by keeping the firebox cleaned out and ash-free a day or so after cooking, I never had a speck of rust on it inside or out.

But if you've got a spot outside where the enamel has flaked off and its rusting you might just contact Noah? Don't know if he'd be willing to send you another one or not. Sounds like the kind of guy that would.

Very good advice!

Oh it was great. It was fresh sweet corn from our local farmer's market. I had never even attempted smoking corn, just let it go 1.5 hours and it was darn near perfect...tender but still a nice little snap on bites.
Yup it cooks perfect. Mine have been going about an hour but the temps are pretty high. Always nice and moist!

It's so new and it seems kind of fast for rust. Here is what it looks like. Does anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 235
It's so new and it seems kind of fast for rust. Here is what it looks like. Does anyone else have this problem?

No, that's not normal. Get in touch with Noah and send him the pics. I bet he will replace it. Let us know what happens.

First cook!

So my PBC arrived a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to use it. See, first there was the typhoon, then that passed but we had lots of rain. After that was work (of course), and then daughter #2 decided "hey, time to make my grand wordwide entrance!" last week. So, finally I was able to try it out today. 9lb pork arm, seasoned with mustard and PBC beef/game rub. On at 1030, wrapped 160* at 1430, off the grill at 1845 and eating pulled pork over rice and homemade coleslaw by 2000.

I love this cooker! No having to add charcoal ever 30-45 minutes like using my weber kettle with smokenator attachment is a HUGE plus. Taking off the lid will cause the temp to shoot up--next time I'll put it back when wrapping. Not a big deal with pork but could be an issue with brisket. Also had a near disaster--right after I took off the lid one of the hooks came out of the meat. :shock: luckily I was able to get the meat onto the pan before the other hook fell out. Definitely have to do a better job on hook placement next time! Also picked up a 6lb chicken...going to start thawing it the next day or so for a monday or tuesday cook.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_2291_zpskmfrtbk7.jpg

Going onto PBC.

IMG_2293_zpsbjlwotqa.jpg

Ready to wrap!

IMG_2372_zpsgkdcxair.jpg

About to be pulled.

IMG_2373_zpspiidgut9.jpg

Falling apart.

IMG_2374_zpsvhnaoilu.jpg

Dinner is served!

IMG_2297a_zpsxgsumo0q.jpg

Can't have BBQ without Bourbon. :rolleyes:

What Thingfish said! Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks!

Oh and congrats on the 2nd grand baby! :thumb:

Iv'e got some Bone-IN Chickie Chickie Breasts on the grate in the PBC. Anyone have an idea of how long they should be in there? I was figuring a little over an hour.

Anyone else go breasteses this way got any advice?

Back