MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #106
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I'm fairly new to smoking(2013) and my first smoker was an 18" WSM. I had decent success with it until I started having issues with trying to keep my temps up.

I got frustrated and started looking at other smokers and found a used PBC locally. I liked it better than the WSM.

I started getting on these forums and found out all the other stuff that was out there and decided I wanted to try other smokers.

I found out about the Good One smokers and found a new Open Range on CL for 50% off so I jumped on that. Nine months later I bought a Good One Marshall at the same store for 50% off and decided I needed that. I really like both of these smokers and have not bought any more smokers since. I have bought a few different grills between the WSM and now though and have my eye on a couple of other things.

My problem is I like trying out new and different stuff and usually end up buying it at some point. A stick burner and a pellet grill are two that I have not tried out and at this time have no real interest in trying out other than the M1 grill which can also be a charcoal burner.

I'm just glad there are so many choices out there.

Last edited by 70monte; 07-13-2018 at 10:19 PM..
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #107
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismagee View Post
You should not have to babysit and throw a stick of wood on a good stick burner every 15 to 30 minutes. It drives me nuts when I see people writing about how hard stick burning is and how they have to babysit their cooker every 15-30 minutes which steers them away from stick burning. If that's what you are having to do, then your cooker is a bad design and bad build. If I am in a pinch and want to get some rest on a long smoke, I will stick burn for the first 5 or 6 hours with nothing but wood. Thats using about 7 or 8 (roughly 10") splits of wood. I will start with 2 or 3 to get it going and feed 1 every hour. When its time to get some rest, load the basket up with lump.. close up the dampers down and go to bed. Get about 5 hours or so of unattended time to finish the cook and done. You get the same flavor from a full stick burn since you are smoking with wood during the critical time at the beginning of the smoke. Same bark, same texture. Its so easy.

Heck.. if you really dont want to mess with the charcoal.. just smoke with wood for a few hours and finish it in the oven. It will STILL come out better than any pellet smoker out there. I honestly do not see how people who know bbq can eat that pellet smoked garbage.

So let me tell you how I really feel about pellet smokers. lol
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #108
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dr. Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Which pooper did you get.?
A Grilla Silverbac. I didn't want to go crazy $$$ on my first pellet smoker. I usually go by the Motto " Buy once, Cry once", but this time I showed restraint.lol

I liked the reviews of it and I thought the price was decent, so I said why not give it a go. I will be buying some meats this coming week to get my smoke on with it and see how they turn out.

I really like this forum. You Men and Women are alright.

Ps- My Oak ridge rubs came in yesterday and I make a bone in prime rib with the Carne Costa, oh my, oh my. Im deciding what to put on burnt ends I'm smoking tomorrow. lol
Dr. Weld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #109
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Attaboy, Weld!