Birria Questacos With Consomé ~ Cooks Thread for "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast"

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
This cook starts simple enough, with some short ribs that were dry brined for 3 hours and smoked until the internal was 150°

uXntMAb.jpg

Meanwhile a consomé is prepared which is used to braise the ribs. Chilies are soaked, then combined with the other ingredients and eventually the whole works is blended into a paste.

X5oml5e.jpg

G9XFb8T.jpg

The consomé can be eaten as a soup, it's a great hangover cure.... or in this case it is used when frying the tortillas and then used as a dipping sauce for the Birria Questacos. After the chiles and spices are cooked and blended everything goes into a roaster for 3 or 4 hours until the meat is very tender.

XdObDJx.jpg

LrAHkfY.jpg

The procedure is very simple, the consomé and pulled meat is warmed and held on the side. Also needed is some melting cheese, onion and cilantro.

jLnBiwj.jpg

0es0tby.jpg

qDdqWyl.jpg

Dip your tortillas, and let them start frying on an oiled surface. After about 2 minutes add some cheese, add some meat, then fold one side of the taco over and once the cheese is melty and you get some char.... you are there!

x08XAnJ.jpg

cTOaPsP.jpg

At the table, add onion, cilantro and lime juice if you like (the cheese is on the bottom so the taco will open). Dip the taco in the consomé as you eat it. The Birria Questacos are similar to a quesadilla only soft with a little crunch. The consume has a mild flavor, and the overall taste of the taco is similar to a tamale except that the char wakes up the corn tortilla.

jOZEOTg.jpg

axIlLU3.jpg

z1F2s2L.jpg

Looks very, very nice, thanks for the tutorial.
Google tells me I can make this with one of my favourites,, beef shank, or goat
I need to source peppers which can be a bit of a challenge
Anyhow, I have bookmarked this

Last edited:
This meal looks really good and appears to be simple enough to make with enough time and patience. Love the Magnalite roaster. Did you cook with lid on or off?
As I look at your mise en place photo, what is in the dish in the upper left hand corner?

Thanks,

Robert

Back