Second dance with WSM 22.

Now that my lowes sells the WSM, I hope I can get a deal on one.

I have a WSM 18 that I keep at a buddy's house for when we want to hang out over there. I've done many, many cooks on it. I think it produces great results, it's a high quality cooker, at a low price. It's perfect for learning temp control, getting used to cooking with charcoal and lump and wood, and being introduced to BBQ in general.

I find the format less convenient in terms of fitting the protein in there versus something like an offset or pellet pooper, but if someone wanted to get their feet wet in BBQ and asked me what to pick up... it'd be the first thing I recommend to many people.

I have a WSM 22 that I use maybe twice a year. When I do use it, I run it UDS style. Awesome flavor. I really should sell it to someone who would actually use it, but seeing these pictures makes me want to fire it up again!

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Lately I've been smoking with the pan out completely "live fire style". Love cooking this way for chicken and certain pork cuts. Love using lump also.

Any time I've tried that with mine, the soot flavor from the burning fat has been overpowering. Plus the leftover charcoal has to be thrown out because of all the burnt drippings on it. I can get just enough of the vaporized drippings flavor by using the water pan empty and wrapped in foil. It gets hot enough to give a little of that direct-cooked flavor profile, but not hot enough to burn all of the fat.

I love that particular flavor but just like traditional offset smoke it's up to the person who is eating it whether it taste good to them.

Back