MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Default Gasket installation on WSM with photos

Here's documentation of my Nomex gasket installation warts and all.I purchased the kit from bbqgaskets.com off of ebay for $27. Shipment was prompt but the instructions were not too clear.

The good news is after doing the cure burn for two hours I shut the vents down and the temp dropped from 400 to 150 in an hour.After two hours it's cool enough to cover.

Here's my work table for the job --

Here is the material and tools. The narrow gasket material goes on the top lip of the center section and the top sidewall of the fire pit. I put the wide material around the door opening. That was pretty stupid. I should have put it around the door. Before beginning I ran the gasket material in a hot dryer for 30 minutes to pre-shrink it. This recommendation came from a bge youtube video.

I cut the tip of the gasket glue at the narrowest marking. I don't like the tube as an application device. Air causes the glue to spatter sometimes. Maybe if I was more careful about applying pressure from the bottom it wouldn't have happened.

I put a zigzag bead along the low edge of the dome receiving flange at the top of the center section and used a mustache brush to spread it. It worked ok. The glue seems to set up pretty quickly. I used the grill supports as landmarks and installed one quarter of the circumference at a time. The gasket material was lightly misted with water per the instructions. I think bbqgaskets.com could have included an application tool.

Here's the top gasket installed.

Here's the glue for door gasket.

Here's the door gasket installed.

Here's the glue applied for the bottom gasket.

Here's the bottom gasket installed. The bottom gasket makes for a very tight fit. I may remove it if it doesn't work out well.

Here's my WSM with the ugly-arse door gasket.

Here's the thermo an hour after shutting down the vents on a 400 degree fire.

I'm not familiar with what you can get at the local auto supply stores but I suspect you might be able to put together what you need for this mod on your own cheaper than this kit. Thanks for looking.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]

Last edited by cameraman; 06-09-2012 at 06:47 PM..
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

Wow impressive write up, thanks. I know this thread is ancient, but I am surprised it had no replies. I was considering this for my WSM 22 I picked up on Craigslist yesterday. If you are still out there, how has this held up? Are you still pleased with it? Thanks!

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
SurrealOne
On the road to being a farker

Very good write up. I'll have to look into doing this when I finally get my hands on a WSM. Did you have any issues with the gasket shrinking since you threw it in the dryer?
SurrealOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
NYCQ
Got Wood.

Not sure why you installed a gasket, these things run great without any mods
NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCQ View Post
I've heard that the 18" seal up nicely after a few cooks but my 22" never sealed properly especially around the access door. I had to install these gaskets myself. Made a pretty big difference.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
NYCQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I've heard that the 18" seal up nicely after a few cooks but my 22" never sealed properly especially around the access door. I had to install these gaskets myself. Made a pretty big difference.
wow, yeah I have the 18 and it's fine
NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

i have an 18 and 22, the 22 needed some door tweaks but i ant see a gasket kit being worth it on an uninsulated cooker, especially a wsm
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think that all WSMs need them, but they are definitely something to consider if you are having real problems with one. I bought a scratch and dent model off eBay that had more dents than scratches and never sealed well for me until I installed the gaskets. It works like a dream now.

I had problems with getting the middle to fit with the lower gasket installed per the instructions. I moved it to the middle section as shown below and problem solved.

Last edited by benniesdad; 06-22-2013 at 06:21 PM..
benniesdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCQ View Post
Nice pics; I also wondered why anyone would was time and $ putting a gasket on a wsm. Great write up though.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
i have an 18 and 22, the 22 needed some door tweaks but i ant see a gasket kit being worth it on an uninsulated cooker, especially a wsm
I had really bad leakage around the access door and where the lid sits. The gasket helps out a lot. It's not perfect but I had to do something.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
blackeyedpig
Got Wood.

You could also seal the access door with heat resistant tape if you don't plan on using it, which if you run the cooker dry you won't have to. You can also buy a better door from cajun bandit. I have both the 18 and the 22 and find I use the 18 more often.
blackeyedpig is offline   Reply With Quote